I threw myself out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe Dragon said:
View attachment 3407

It was a lot of work.... eeks.
That sink looks familiar... :D

You just need to run a flexible gas hose so you can do full boils on a Banjo Burner ;)

IndoorBrew_4.JPG

Me_Brewing.jpg

<-----Jealous

SWMBO wants to move out of Texas to get her Masters...maybe Doctorate and if so I hope to hell we move to a place with a basement. Just too cool!

Have fun with it!

Fantastic job, Joe!

I recently moved into a new house that has an old (and I mean OLD) gas range in the basement that the previous owners used for summer cooking before the days of A/C. There's also a utility sink down there and coincidentally both items are oriented exactly how you have your range and sink! It's made brewing so much easier and less stressful having four things all conveniently close to each other:

1. a utility sink (especially a double)

2. a dedicated stove (or burner)

3. adequate counter space

4. a floor drain

I used to brew with none of this things, but now I have all of them and so do you! Cheers!

PS- Great thinking putting that second spigot above the sink.

Very nice!! I'm working on a brew room too, but right now it's a HUGE closet that's holding a bunch of crap while I finish the basement. Drywall taper starts next week, so I'm WELL on my way!

Joe Dragon said:
Completely :off: but are you guys keeping strict track of how much you are brewing/drinking this year? I guess I shouldn’t be shocked that I’m over 100 gallons. I guess it’s going to be about 10 gallons a month or 120 gallons total. It seems like a lot but it’s only a little over 3 12 ounce beers a day. Or 2 on most days and 10 on the weekend days……

I don't keep track. I don't really want to know

rdwj said:
...Drywall taper starts next week, so I'm WELL on my way!

It's about time!;) :D I'm one to talk - I'm still working on my chest freezer/kegerator and kegging set up!

Damn, Joe! Good work there! Looks like a nice, comfortable place to brew. Beats freezing your b*lls off in the garage in the winter. I'm shopping for a new home now and a basement is top priority.

Rhoobarb said:
It's about time!;) :D I'm one to talk - I'm still working on my chest freezer/kegerator and kegging set up!

Damn, Joe! Good work there! Looks like a nice, comfortable place to brew. Beats freezing your b*lls off in the garage in the winter. I'm shopping for a new home now and a basement is top priority.

Ya, it's been a SLOW road, but I'm getting there. I should have most of it done by the new year.

Joe Dragon said:
Rhoobarb,

I don’t remember you being in Oak Forest that long. Maybe I’m mistaken. Another move?

Just moved this weekend. I was in Plainfield for the last six years. We'll be in OFO for the next 2-3 years while my fiancee's sone finishes high school. After that, we'll either move into the city or (most likely) back to the Naperville-Plainfield area. I'm posting an update here.

BierMuncher said:
You just need to run a flexible gas hose so you can do full boils on a Banjo Burner ;)
I was thinking about hooking my burner up to natural gas so I don't have to worry about running out of propane in the middle of a boil. Do you have a picture of the hook up where you connected the flexible hose to the gas line? Also, did you need to make any modifications to the banjo burner for it to work with natural gas? I have the bayou classic square burner and I'm not sure it would work with natural gas.

drunkatuw said:
I was thinking about hooking my burner up to natural gas so I don't have to worry about running out of propane in the middle of a boil. Do you have a picture of the hook up...

Sorry to mislead you. I don't have a natural gas hookup. I just saw his and suggested it.

I bought a second propane tank for the specific purpose of never running out of gas. It was well worth the investment and I figure I'll get my money back out after a dozen or so refills...by not paying for a complete fill when a tank is still 15-20% full.

Nothing was as frustrating as lifting an LP tank and knowing I had to go fill it to get through a brew session, even though I knew it wasn't empty.

Aren't propane burners inside a no-no on the suffocation/carbon monoxide front?

edit: especially with these tiny basement windows?

This topic of the pros and cons of propane indoors has been discussed on this forum a lot. Try a search of "propane indoors" and see what you get. I and many others do it and consider it safe if done carefully, others disagree.

BierMuncher, with the massive amount you brew how come you're sitting in such an uncomfortable looking chair? Seems like the primary purpose for your basement is for cooking wort so why don't you have it all kitted out for kicking back?

Fingers said:
BierMuncher, with the massive amount you brew how come you're sitting in such an uncomfortable looking chair?
Have you seen the rest of his junk? He's probably just happy he doesn't get sliced to death from the chair in his brewery.

Nice job on the brewery!

It looks like you have the rough in for a basement bathroom.
Drinking 100+ gallons per year, you will need one! :D

I have one in my basement and it was the best thing I ever did.

Fingers said:
BierMuncher, with the massive amount you brew how come you're sitting in such an uncomfortable looking chair? Seems like the primary purpose for your basement is for cooking wort so why don't you have it all kitted out for kicking back?
Ha...

I have a Lazy Boy upstairs that doesn’t get used much…it’s about 25 years old and uber comfy.

I’m thinking some castors screwed onto the bottom would work really well.

Course, then I run the risk of napping during full boil and waking to the smell of caramelized sugar. :D

Back