Infection Paranoia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleak

Reaction score
I know this is probably just a yeast floatie, or flocculated break material, but since it looks like a cross between Golum and The Edge (from U2), I'm getting a little bit paranoid. It appeared during the krausen and stuck around. The yeast is Wyeast 2565 "Kolsch," the gravity is 1.012 and it tastes okay (pretty good, actually). So, either console me, or give me the bad news without sugar coating. Thanks.

The Globule_001.jpg

The Globule_004.jpg

Looks like your beer is infected with yeast!

Looks fine. Probably just yeast.

What you need to understand is that infections are not as bad as they seem. While likely not an infection, beers are way more tolerant than you might think. Just imagine how people were brewing way back when, far from sanitary. I have drank about a dozen batches thus far of severely infected beer. Does not make you sick, has not influenced flavor significantly thus far and actually will drive the gravity lower than expected. In my case a bonus. Your beer is fine.

Back