Over carbing or paranoia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

advogold

Reaction score
I have my first kegged batch. I first tried to force carb 30 psi. It seemed ok but I thought it was slightly under carbonated after a couple pints. I have 12 psi on it now. I was gonna purge it after work today & drop it down to serving pressure 4-7 psi. It's only been on 12 psi for a day 1/2. Will it over carbonate or was I just being paranoid. It's a citra pale ale ,Zombie Dust clone. Very good which is why I want carb levels perfect. Thanks

It will not over carbonate. If you set the pressure to the volumes you need, the beer will only absorb that amount of pressure. Once the pressure in the keg is equalized to the pressure on your regulator then no more co2 from the tank will enter the keg. I set my beer to 30 for about two days and drop to whatever psi I need to carbonate and leave it until I'm ready to drink it. If I will not drink it for a while or have been drinking it I will increase the pressure back up to the carbonation level to maintain the proper amount of co2 until I am ready to serve again.

google image search "carbonation chart" and go by that instead of making up random PSIs to set your keg to.

I downloaded one that I used for a volume I was shooting for. Sweet thanks for feedback wanna enjoy this good beer not do a bunch of test pours. Just confused a bit on the 30 psi vs carb chart 12 psi & serving psi. Cheers

Back