Raspberry wine restarted fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Started this wine about 8 months ago, it's had multiple rackings and I added sorbate and k-meta in January. I've backsweetened in a couple of steps to get the desired sweetness (trying to balance out the high acidity) for a nice summer semi sweet wine. Last time I checked on it was about 2 weeks and everything looked great, I was going to check the SO2 levels (I had made several doses, but since Titret kits are pricey I normally only check before bottling and hope for the best).
So what I found when I uncovered the wine was alot of new sediment and even some sediment that had kind of settled around the walls of the carboy. There were also small CO2 bubbles making their way to the top, but no airlock activity (maybe I missed that in the 2 weeks since I last checked it).
I used my Titret kit and apparently the SO2 was less than 20ppm, even though pH is around 3.0, I'm hoping that some yeast made it through multiple rackings and started a new round of fermentation. I was assuming since it had been so long that I had no chance of having any yeast in it.
Any thoughts or similar experiences?

If you have bubbles a restarted fermentation is likely. I had some stuck raspberry that sat for 10 years (long story) when I racked it to a new carboy the fermentation kicked off again but I didn't realize it. Let me just say sparkling raspberry tastes great but I was really lucky I did not get any bottle bombs.

If you want to halt the fermentation I would simply pasteurize it then bottle it.

Let me just say sparkling raspberry tastes great but I was really lucky I did not get any bottle bombs.

That's exactly what I thought, my first thought was OH SHT, what happened, my second thought was OH MAN that is a great tasting sparkling wine.

Back