priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobo_87

Reaction score
So i recently tried a few home brews from a friend, 4 room be exact. 1 porter, 2 ipa's, and a nut brown. I was impressed. Each were very crisp and refreshing. He told that me that he uses regular C&H granulated sugar. I use powdered corn sugar and have great results. I just purchased muntons carb tabs and haven't tried them yet. My question is what carbonation method presents the best results?

I have used table sugar back when I was a Mr. Beer guy. I have been using corn sugar since stepping up to larger batches. My brew-buddy has tried the tablets a few times and he must not be using enough of them. The beer had ZERO carbonation after 3 weeks.

They are all about the same. (Though I can't speak for the drops as I've never used them). It's such a small amount that there really isn't a huge impact on the beer. I've heard you get smaller bubbles with DME than corn sugar and table sugar dries it out more, but when I bottle, I have yet to notice any negligible difference. Corn sugar is still my go to choice.

Thank man. Yeah i have only used corn sugar so far. On an different topic i see a Titan helmet as your photo. I hope you Guys get Manning over the Broncos

I used to use corn sugar because table sugar "caused cidery taste". Someone convinced me to try using table sugar ....... long story, but I've used table sugar for the past 70 batches with no issues. I also use table sugar as sugar additions to beers when it is called for.

I have a sealed 5 lb bag of corn sugar that I've had for over 3 years now, that was left over when I switched over to plain sugar.

I preferr dme when i have it,but i just use organic evaporated cane sugar mainly and , ive used maple,i would use honey,brown sugar,raw sugar, or even coconut palm sugar if it was fitting for the style of beer.Since dme has unfermtables you may get a creamier finish but not neccessarly. Their really dosnt seem to make much difference unless maybe it was blackstrap molassis possibly grade b maple or something intense like that like strong tasting sugars.Even thoughs probably only make a slight difference if that.

Back