Secondary fermentaion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I have a brew in my secondary fermenter been there since saturday. I have a bubbler 2 chambered type of air lock on it. When I got home today I noticed the airlock was opposite of what it was that is the side that is usually filled with Co2 was now filled with water as in there was no fermentation going on. Is this the norm? The temp in the room has lowered about 6 degrees in the past day or so as the weather is changing could this have cause it?

Yes, Your beer is in its clearing stages now and the reduction in temp caused a volume shrink pulling a vaccuum on your air lock.

This is the reason I use vodka or white rum in my air lock.

You can also dilute cheap vodka to about 10% and put it in a spray bottle. It will sanitize small things nicely & doesn't impact the flavor of the brew.

david_42 said:
You can also dilute cheap vodka to about 10% and put it in a spray bottle. It will sanitize small things nicely & doesn't impact the flavor of the brew.

That's a pretty good idea. Never heard of that one. Bet it works great.

The mash wort at 170f decreases in volume by 5% by the time it cools enough for pitching. I use that to calculate the mash water amounts.

So a 5 degree difference will create just a bit of volume shrinkage.

Back