First all grain batch question - Batch Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWAleDad

Reaction score
Happy thanksgiving everyone!

I'm doing my first all grain batch tomorrow and i have a questions about batch sparging.

after the grain has set for 75min with the first batch of water, i'm going to recirculate and add another batch of water to the tun. Do i let the sparge water step the grains for another 75minutes? Or do i automatically draw the water off of the wort.

Thanks everyone!

My last recipe called for a temperature of 153 degrees for 60 minutes and 170 degrees for 10 minutes. Then drain the wort then do the sparge. I use Brewheads.com - Batch Sparge Calculator to get the addition temperatures and amounts.

You have to add water warmer than the target temperature to end up at the target.

Add hot water to your mash tun and close the top to preheat it.

Good luck, It is a lot of fun.
Pay attention to what you are doing and don't have too many homebrews or your next post will be another "did I ruin it" :)

after your first run off pour in your sparge water, open your valve and collect wort into a container until the wort runs clear, pour the contents of your container back into the MLT and continue to drain your mlt into your kettle.

This video is also great for a visual run through. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHLqnWCNjE&fmt=18]Easy All Grain Brewing - Batch Sparge Method - YouTube[/ame] I watched it during my mash rest on my first all grain.

HBT forum: All grain & partial mash ; "ORFY`s sticky :All grain pictoral & video tutorials. Happy Thankgiving&Happy brewing. +1 on kh54s10 Cheers:tank:

Back