In Reference to "Gravity points first runnings vs sparge runnings"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjopicker16

Reaction score
Im just wondering about people taking gravity readings while sparging to the kettle. I just fill up my mash tun, run my mash schedule, and when I sparge the wort to the kettle, I just let it get to however many gallons I need. I do 10 gallon batches, so I need about 12 or 13 gallons to come out with 11 gallons of wort. I dont stop the runnings at a certain gravity reading. I just know not to go too long, and get what I need. What say you?

I did for a few batches to test I was getting all the possible extraction from my grain and I wasn't going to far.Now I'm happy with my extraction and know I'm not getting below 1010.

But If I'm doing a small session beer I'll still check it because the lower the grain bill the greater of the risk the gravity drop right down on the last part of the sparge. Better to stop and go for a lower volume or top up the kettle/fermenter with water.

Most of the people I know that check the gravity during sparging make larger batches and a broad variety of beers. That's mainly because radically different grain bills will compact/sparge differently. Just going by volume works well enough as does by taste or experience. There are very few absolutes or "only ways" in homebrewing.

And some people NEED a reason to get a refractometer.

david_42 said:
Most of the people I know that check the gravity during sparging make larger batches and a broad variety of beers. That's mainly because radically different grain bills will compact/sparge differently. Just going by volume works well enough as does by taste or experience. There are very few absolutes or "only ways" in homebrewing.

And some people NEED a reason to get a refractometer.

Haha, yeah. Any reason for a new gadget is a good one!

As for tannin extraction, I just dont run thin mashes, and when I do, they are short. I can see about the session beers though.

i just taste it... you can tell when it's getting a too thin, starts to lose it's color too. i just aim for the 7.5 gallon mark, then cut it off.

I do have a refractometer, and some PH sticks. But I only used them to caliibrate my tongue. It's "within tolerance". So now I just taste it, like O.M.

Back