Beer things to do in Hawaii!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
Im heading out to Hawaii in june for a family wedding and we'll be staying at a hotel in Waikiki for about 11 days.

Of all of the things we have planned to do there (aside from relax and not do anything most of the time), one of those things I am having a VERY hard time finding is a brewery tour around there or even anything beer related!

I am told most people drink heineken there which i regret to say that I will not be partaking in unless there is a budlight offered to me and i only have 2 options (or if nothing else if offered and my options are lessened by one)...

Anyone know of fun beer things to do near Waikiki or at the very least a good place to buy beer when I'm there? I'd prefer not to try and bring a case of homebrew on the plane if i can help it!

Yeah, go to the YardHouse:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...ed=0CBIQhgUwAA&sa=X&ei=XkawTeCrAaTqzgWAgPWgBg

Over a 100 beers on tap and really only a few blocks away. You'll find Hawaiian establishments to be ID Nazi's when it comes to alcohol. So even if you're 70 years old always bring your ID!! I kid you not, I've seen old people there declined alcohol because they left their ID in their room.

While you're there also try the Wailua Wheat:

http://www.konabrewingco.com/beers/wailua-wheat

It's a nice beer :) As far as I know, I could be wrong of course, but I don't believe Oahu has any breweries. I know the Kona brewing company is located in.... wait for it.... KONA on the Big Island (Hilo) lol. Google it though, maybe there are some small breweries or something.

Rev.

awesome man i've been searching my face off and i havent found any good establishments but i will probably be a "regular" at this place by the end of the trip!

also, if anyone homebrews out near waikiki, i suppose i could bring a 6er of something of my own and we could trade mebbe

One last thing, if you guys like a reeeally good Mai Tai and great scenery go to the Oceanarium:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...ed=0CBIQhgUwAA&sa=X&ei=LUqwTe7xMJT-ywTCpPyTAg

It's a restaurant, and they have a bar that stays open when the restaurant section is closed for the day. It's so peaceful after the dinner hours because the place is empty and you can enjoy the Aquarium and a Mai Tai all by yourself. It's in a Hotel so you might be a little confused but you'll find it.

Rev.

If you are going to Maui, check out the brewery (Maui brewery, duh).
Also, make sure you at least try the Longboard Lager.. available even here on the mainland... it's from the brewery on the big island.

Maui Brewing's Big Swell IPA is one of my all-time favorite beers. Should be readily available on all the islands. Note all Maui Brewing beers come in beach-friendly can form :)

Kona Brewing has a restaurant in Hawaii Kai with all of their brews on tap. It's right between Waikiki and Hanauma Bay so its a good place to chill after snorkeling all day. Sam Choy's has brewery attached to the restaurant but I haven't been there in a while. Last time I was there the beer was just ok. YardHouse has a hugh selection and is right in Waikiki - should be able to walk there. Gordon Biersch would be good to visit at aloha tower. One of the reasons you might want to go there is that right next to the Gordon Biersch is Chai's Island Bistro and they have alot of good local music most nights.

Maui Brewing's Big Swell IPA is one of my all-time favorite beers. Should be readily available on all the islands. Note all Maui Brewing beers come in beach-friendly can form :)

ALL local beer in the islands come in cans.... don't stick your nose up at it, they hate that. it is an eco-friendly thing.. which they are extremely big on.

If you do go to Maui Brewing... DEFINITELY get the sampler. $15 for about 60 ounces of every beer they have (4oz each).

ALL local beer in the islands come in cans.... don't stick your nose up at it, they hate that. it is an eco-friendly thing.. which they are extremely big on.

Point was, for Maui Brewing, cans are the ONLY option. Kona Brewing is also sold in bottles. Cans aren't any more eco-friendly than glass, to be honest. It's more a safety thing. Glass + barefoot beaches don't mix.

ALL local beer in the islands come in cans.... don't stick your nose up at it, they hate that. it is an eco-friendly thing.. which they are extremely big on.QUOTE]

Fascinating stuff -

Personally I have never canned my beer - and almost all the local beer I buy is bottled.

back on topic eh...

so we are definitely going to go to those places. any other suggestions? we probably arent going to be leaving that island at all btw

so we are definitely going to go to those places. any other suggestions? we probably arent going to be leaving that island at all btw

I'm out of beer related ideas. But if you want other ideas like things to do I can give you great advice. Oh, and nothing wrong with just visiting Oahu, it's an amazing island for the simple reason that you have all the beauty and diversity of nature available while at the same time having the awesome accessibility of the mainland - meaning great food, drink, shopping, supplies, etc. I've also been to Kauai which is also amazing and beautiful, however it's considerably more isolated feeling. Couldn't just go out and eat whatever favorite foods we wanted, drink selection was waaaay more limited, etc. Though I did manage to get lucky and find one of the bar lounges we'd go to at the Grand Hilton (where we stayed) had Franziskaner and it wasn't on the beer list! I just happened to ask what else they might have and when he said Franziskaner I was like, "Excuse me... say that again". - in the 500ml brown bottles too :D

Rev.

Bring snorkel gear, there's an easy hike up to Makapu'u Lighthouse, a difficult hike up to the top of Diamond Head, a cool farmer's market at KCC (near Diamond Head) on Sat mornings, the beach at Ka'a'awa is nice in the mornings, Pipeline is cool to see but there are no waves in the summer, on the North Shore Ted's Bakery has good pies, Waimea Bay is nice and calm in the summer and there is an ancient Heiau above the bay with commanding views of the north shore, you can take glider rides out at Dillingham Airfield, or go sky diving up there too

Oh and don't forget a lu'au. I hear the best show is at the Polynesian Cultural Center but I've never been and I don't think you can drink at that one.

I've been to the one at Ko'Olina and had a good time. There's definitely enough to drink at that one. I ended up giving away some of my drink tickets but I had double since my wife wasn't drinking.

If you like fish sandwiches I recommend heading over to pier 38 and eating at either Nicos or Uncles Fish Market. I can't get enough of either of these places. I've been eating so much ahi since moving here that I am probably going to die from mercury poisoning.

Edit: oh yeah and for pancakes head over to Hilton Prince Kuhio. You won't be sorry.

Oh and don't forget a lu'au. I hear the best show is at the Polynesian Cultural Center

That is supposed to be the best one. Whatever you do though, avoid Germain's Luau at all cost!!! It was a horrid experience and the "drinks" basically taste like gasoline mixed with rubbing alcohol.

Rev.

we'll definitely be attending a lu'au at some point, i think maybe one at our hotel is supposed to be good. but we'll also be hanging out with the girlfriend's fam that lives out there and they are supposed to be VERY cultural so im sure we'll be pig roasting and the whole shibang at least once on our own too.

anyone know of any GOOD fishing charters? the ones online seem to kinda suck...

Bump for pertinence. We're leaving tomorrow morning to take this trip!

Of all the things we have planned to do this coming week, I have to say I am most excited about sitting on the beach and relaxing with a 6er of cold beer next to me.

And if anyone wants to grab a cold one with me at the yard house while im out that way, PM me!

Back