Rogue Mocha Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I had a hard time finding a reliable recipe for the Rogue Mocha Porter so I wanted to make sure I posted it here. This recipe is from the AHS kit. The only thing I don't have with me right now is the alpha % for the Perle hops.

7 3/4 # 2 Row
1/4 # Munich
6oz Chocolate Malt
2oz Black Roasted Barley
1 1/2 # Crystal 120L
60 min hops - 1/2 oz. Centennial 9.5% pellets, 1/2 oz. Perle (German) pellets
15 min hops - 1/2 oz. Centennial 9.5% pellets, 1/2 oz. Perle (German) pellets
5 min hops - 1/2 oz. Centennial 9.5% pellets

mash at 152F with 3.125 gal
sparge at 175F with 5 gal

In the mini-mash version, they cut the 2-row to 1.75 lbs and used 5 lb of Amber LME.

What's odd is the hopping is radically different.

1 oz. Amarillo @ 60
1 oz. Horizon @ 5

And neither of these is what Rogue actually uses, but they both work!

I would assume the best yeast for the job of a rogue clone would be pacman (that's what they use) it is actually really easy to culture it from a rogue bomber bottle

In the mini-mash version, they cut the 2-row to 1.75 lbs and used 5 lb of Amber LME.

What's odd is the hopping is radically different.

1 oz. Amarillo @ 60
1 oz. Horizon @ 5

And neither of these is what Rogue actually uses, but they both work!

It's a late extract addition. Everyone knows that if you add your LME late in the boil, you completely change the type of hops you use.

Ummm...

Yeah, that's it.

Just curious, but what's the "mocha" aspect of this recipe? Is there an addition of coffee that I'm missing in the recipe, or is it just that the roasted barley and chocolate malt are supposed to lend it a mocha-ish flavor?

yeah thats it no coffee,it is a great porter a little lighter than some as far as color.

Back