bottled first batch today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclloyd

Reaction score
I made it through the endless two weeks waiting to bottle my first batch. I have read in numerous threads and topics that patience and time is almost always a positive in the home brewing arena. So today I bottled 5 gallons of wheat from a Cooper's hopped extract kit with another KG of wheat extract added in place of the prescribed sugar - another good tidbit picked up in the forums. I let it set undisturbed for two weeks - today I racked and bottled. 5 gallons yielded 30 - 12 oz. bottles and 16 - 16 oz. bottles. The color is a beautiful deep gold - slightly cloudy which I expected in a wheat. Now two weeks (minimum, I know) bottle conditioning to see how it is. Of course I tasted it today and as I also expected, it tasted like very flat beer, but beer none the less. Kinda blah tasting - not much flavor but no bad flavors either (that part is encouraging).
On to batch #2. I boiled up an American Amber Ale - used a generic recipe I found web browsing. It had a pound of specialty grains (steeped), 6.5 lbs of amber LME, and a pound of light DME. Also 3 types of hops at various intervals and irish moss for clarifying. Looked and smelled awesome. I purchased a 5 gallon glass carboy for use as a secondary for this batch and going forward. (My first batch that I bottled today was in the primary the entire two weeks). Couple of questions - assuming that my yeast takes and I get good fermentation this week, at what point should I rack to the secondary, and how long should it stay there? I'm thinking that a week in primary and two weeks in secondary is about right. Any input from y'all is much appreciated.
Just as a side note - what an incredibly satisfying feeling it was bottling today. My wife probably thinks I'm nuts but I was grinning all day long. :}

cclloyd said:
Just as a side note - what an incredibly satisfying feeling it was bottling today. My wife probably thinks I'm nuts but I was grinning all day long. :}

Yeup, a lot of brewing is about patience. now you have to let it sit and carbonate. ...testing is mandatory throughout this process though.

I also love the feeling of putting the caps on the bottles. Like getting to the finish line, except 50 times!

congrats. good beer takes time to develop so follow 1-2-3 schedule. 1 wk in primary-2 wk in secondary-3 wk in:mug: bottle:rockin:

You guys make me all excited to bottle my first batch! I have less then a week to wait. It will be this Saturday or Sunday (whenever I have the time).

I had it in the primary for one week & it will have been in the secondary for two weeks.

Trick is to get in a schedule where you are either brewing, racking, or bottling every weekend. This both gives you something to do each weekend and also keeps fresh homebrew coming every week or two.

Latest posts

Back