Honey Wheat Beer. Affect on FG of adding honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingBrewer

Reaction score
Took the recipe for Lovebite Weizenbier from "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and added 1 pound of local harvested honey. That would be most likely honey from Alfalfa flowers. How much will this affect the FG? Recipe says it should finish between 1.008-1.014, Im at 1.020 right now but i'm not ready for bottling yet as I will check again Wednesday to see if it is same.

Added it in the primary? I am no expert on the subject but when I took a witbier recipe in Beersmith and added a lbs of honey the FG increased .001. If that's any clue then it shouldn't have much of an effect.

I added @50 in a 60 minute boil....maybe a little closer to 45, had many brews while brewing.:drunk:

I added @50 in a 60 minute boil....maybe a little closer to 45, had many brews while brewing.:drunk:

:D I've never been guilty of that! :tank::ban::mug:

I think adding it that late in the boil would cause it to be utilized more in the fermentation, make the OG significantly higher and not raising the FG by much.

Again, I'm no expert on this. Ummm, at all. I did find one little splurge on the mws website about adding honey: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/how-much-honey-in-beer.html

Please let me know how the brew turns out because I've been looking for a good honey wheat :mug:

Misread gravity, actually at 1.018...I will let you know how it is in a couple of weeks.

OG on recipe says 1.046-1.050, if I remember correctly I was at 1.054. Starting next batch, NOTES!

DING.......(epiphany?) Oh, so does the same thing that happened with the OG happen to the FG? SO will I be .004 too high? I will check it again on Wednesday and see what it is. Who am I trying to fool? I will be checking it daily.

Not necessarily. If the yeast utilize the extra sugars from the honey there should be more of a gap between your OG and FG, resulting in a higher ABV

Dropped 2 points to 1.016 since Sunday. I can taste the honey quite a bit, next time will have to hop a bit more to counteract the honey sweet just a little bit. Still, hard to know exactly since its not done yet.

IIRC, honey is around 90% fermentable (it varies tho) so it should minorly raise your FG.

Back