Holy crapper but that S-04 works fast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffro

Reaction score
I brewed 2 batches last Sat. On of the Yoopper ale and the other was my normal Porter.

When I was buying the stuff I was just going to use the S-05 for both batches, but my LHBS didn't have S-05. So I figured I would just use Nottingham for the Yoop, and try S-04 for the porter.

My OG on the 2 beers was 1.058 for the Yoop, and 1.054 on the Porter. The Yoop is in my 6.5 gallon carboy and the the Porter in my 6.5 gallon bucket.

They both seemed to take off right away and when I went to check tonight it looked like the Porter hadn't really done anything. So I pulled out the stopper and sucked out a sample... It's at 1.012 now... Only 3 days after pitching and my fermentation chamber having a high temp of 71 during that time frame.

It tastes REALLY good too... Very much like Black Butte...

I'm not planning on sharing it until opening weekend of NFL season. I just hope it lasts that long!

Nice.

I wish they all went that fast.

Are you going to bottle right away or let it sit for another week or so?

I think my Octoberfest is done but it's going to sit the full 2 weeks before I bottle it. (done as an Ale because I can't lager)

Nice.

I wish they all went that fast.

Are you going to bottle right away or let it sit for another week or so?

I think my Octoberfest is done but it's going to sit the full 2 weeks before I bottle it. (done as an Ale because I can't lager)

I think I'll rack to secondary as soon as I get the chance and leave it sit in the corner of my shed 'till Sept...

Then crash cool and keg.

Bottles??? What's that?

Ok, cool I just used this for an oatmeal stout, and the thing was bubbling so much I had starsan foam building up, no blow-off though, but then a couple days later it appears to be gone. I'll check the gravity this weekend, but yeah, my saison is almost on 3 weeks and still is bubbling.

I used to use Nottingham almost exclusively for American ales, but switched to Safale 05 (or sometimes 04) and have been more than pleased. I won't go back to Nottingham.

IF you think that was crazy pitch on an S-04 cake sometime. It'll blow your mind. (And quite possibly, the fermenter top, too)

Yes and yes... I pitched onto a S-05 cake not too long ago and signs of visible fermentation were done in less than 24 hours and make there was a lot of gas coming out. Thank God for fermcap.

I think I'll rack to secondary as soon as I get the chance and leave it sit in the corner of my shed 'till Sept...

Then crash cool and keg.

Bottles??? What's that?

Ive brewed with 04 before and left it sitting in the primary for something like 6 wks prior to botling and it was one of my best beers yet. Just a chinook / cascade APA.

Using Notty for the first time right now on an IPA. One hell of a blow off.. Looking forward to this beer. Have a Porter lined up for next week which will be my first time using 05.

I may never go back to liquid yeasts again for Pale Ales

Back