stupid mistake maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormsgetsold

Reaction score
I kegged a beer about 10 hours ago. I forgot to purge the O2 out, never in 30 kegs or so has this happened, and just vented it. Is this going to be a problem? I plan to have the keg empty in about 2-3 weeks.

I wouldn't worry about it-the headspace is so small (by total keg volume), and will get overwhelmed by the CO2. (I've also done it before, and didn't notice a problem).

I assume you purged it right after or before this post... shouldn't be an issue.. You'd probably have to leave it for several days for it to be an issue.

Your beer is ruined, i think you should give it to me to discard... :)
When i first started keging I never read any forums and just kinda jumped into it. My first 5 batches I never purged out the O2, Like Kinison said, the Head space is SOOOO small that the O2 in there is not substancial at all. I never noticed a difference when I started to purge the top. Esp if you purged the CO2 once you realized your mistake. Nah, once you pressurize the keg, the partial pressure of O2 in there is going to be incredibly low. If you get oxidation I think it will be minimal.

Back