Pen Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbrew

Reaction score
I use a journal on my brew days (there's something satisfying about physically writing down all my notes) and am in the market for a good pen to use for my brewing journal. I have fairly big hands and prefer a bigger gripped/heavier pen. I also prefer a gel rollerball (like the Pilot G2). My target price is $40-50 but would be willing to go higher for the right thing.

Hit me with your suggestions!!

TLDR - I'm looking for a new, fairly nice pen...

I have a stainless steel-bodied Parker ball point that I have had for over 25 years. It writes smoothly, the refills last forever, and I just plain like this pen.

G2 FTW. If u want, wrap in in something fancy.

My FIL liked woodworking and built me a nice pen that I love but am afraid of misplacing so it stays in a safe place and only gets used for special signatures because I like to remember him and his craftsmen ship by it.

G2 FTW. If u want, wrap in in something fancy.

My FIL liked woodworking and built me a nice pen that I love but am afraid of misplacing so it stays in a safe place and only gets used for special signatures because I like to remember him and his craftsmen ship by it.

^^

Pilot G2 Gel. They are the finest writers I've ever made. Smooth, no gaps, ready to write when they hit the paper.

Look no more.

Looks like you have a perfect excuse to buy a lathe...

20160206_150838-66809.jpg

I only use the SARSA gel pen from Zebra but not for brewing... ever! It's water based and will completely dissappear from paper if whetted.

Mr. Sharpie for anything in the brew room for me, thank you.

I only use the SARA gel pen from Zebra but not for brewing... ever! It's water based and will completely dissappear from paper if whetted.

Mr. Sharpie for anything in the brew room for me, thank you.

Which brings me back to the space pen.

real-world-carry-fisher-space-pen.jpg

YAY! SPACE PEN!!

Which brings me back to the space pen.

That thing is sexy!

Today I ordered a Pilot Metropolitan Rollerball...easing my way into fancier pens I guess. At $15 you can't beat the price, it uses the G2 refills, and it looks like it's big enough, I'll give a verdict after I get it.

For those interested I also looked at the Render K - Pilot G2 and the Waterman Expert. The Render K ($40 pricing is right) has the issue of having nowhere to put the cap after you unscrew it. The Waterman is ~$120...and honestly if I'm dropping $120 I'm getting the Space Pen.

The best pen I have ever used, by far, was a Mont Blonc. My dad had one. I use the G2 gel pens all the time, but they are not even close to a Mont Blonc.

The best pen I have ever used, by far, was a Mont Blonc. My dad had one. I use the G2 gel pens all the time, but they are not even close to a Mont Blonc.

I like Waterman & Mont Blanc but my wife gave me a Cartier w/ a roller ball adapter about 15 years ago for our 25th anniversary. Truly a great pen.if you travel by air at all you'll already know why you don't want a true fountain pen.

Given all that I use a Parker ballpoint in my brewery. It is less of a loss if I damage it via drops etc.

I like the G2 0.7mm for everyday use but also have a couple of space pens and they are very nice and last forever. My first space pen I purchased in the early to mid 80's and while I don't use it often it still writes every time i pick it up. The G2's are on my desk and in my vehicle consoles and my space pens are with my journals.

That's weird. I always figured the G2 was on par with Mont Blanc's. I mean they're about the same price point . . . :D

Brewed up a blonde today and used the Metropolitan for the first time on a brew day. I'm pretty happy with it. The body is a good size and weighs about 1oz. I like the feel and the G2 internals work like all other G2s. :) Nice pen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Latest posts

Back