Refractometer question: 32% vs. 40%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camiller

Reaction score
So I'm looking to upgrade to a refractometer and am seeing refractometers with ranges of either 0-32 Brix or 0-40 Brix (and others with higher ranges for undiluted honey etc). Both have a +- .2 Brix accuracy. I'm thinking that with beer at least I'm unlikely to exceed 32 brix (1.139 SG) but if I ever wanted to do a mead or something in the future would I be limiting myself? Should I go with the 0-40? All opinions welcome.

Thanks

I would think that either would do what you need done. 1.139 is pretty damn high, I have a 32 Brix refractometer and I LOVE it. $25 bucks, shipped, new!

I'd go with the 32. You'll never need anything more. I'm not sure why measuring the OG of a mead would be required. Seems you would know the weight of the honey and the volume of water and that give you the gravity. I don't think honey varies much in gravity, but I might be wrong on that.

I would think that either would do what you need done. 1.139 is pretty damn high, I have a 32 Brix refractometer and I LOVE it. $25 bucks, shipped, new!

Yeah, about the only beer that might have to go above that would be a utopias clone. I doubt I'll ever attempt that. Any thoughts on sources? I see a few on ebay for $23-$25 shipped.

Yeah, about the only beer that might have to go above that would be a utopias clone. I doubt I'll ever attempt that. Any thoughts on sources? I see a few on ebay for $23-$25 shipped.

I bought mine on Ebay, and I love it. Be sure to get an ATC refractometer and you will love it.

Just go with the 32 brix version. If you ever want to check something higher you can just dilute with water to figure it out.

Only once have I ever done that and it was when I was checking the value of some tart cherry concentrate.

the 32 brix refract has less lines in the same amount of space, so it's easier to read.... better resolution.

I got a 0-32 Brix refractometer (be sure to get one designed to measure sucrose) from a variety offered on eBay. It came from the "Happy Fun Luck Trading Co." or some such in Hong Kong, about $25 delivered. I'm very happy with it. I think a 0-40 refractometer would work, but with my eyes, I'd rather read the 0-32 scale.....

Back