Am I infected???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schupaul

Reaction score
DSCF00252.JPG

I used a new CF chiller yesterday and pitched the yeast dry (a Safale K-97 German ale) into the carboy because I did not have time to make a starter. I believe I followed good sanitation with this new CF chiller. I ran weak vinegar solution first then flushed, then starsan before using. However, It is the next day now and there is not really anything going on except the cottage cheese that you see. There is also a slight crust on the surface. It is moving around but ever so slowly. The temp is right at 64. Am I infected or just paranoid and should hold off a while due to pitching the yeast dry.

I can't see any pics, but I doubt it's an infection. Infections take a while to show up, so unless you have a strain of "super bacteria/wild yeast" then it's probably just yeast colonizing.

It sounds like you have a normal krausen growing on your beer..it's perfectly normal...and necessary...

You are just Paranoid!

That means fermentation is happening..It's really hard to ruin your beer...many of us have done all manner of stupid things, worse than you thing and our beers still turned out fine.

Take a read of this thread...it will calm your nerves...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

It's okay, really....:mug:

Thanks. Just nervous the is the SWMBO's that I am making for a party. How is the weather in Port H. I grew up in Grand Haven and really don't miss the slushy meltdown.

I used a new CF chiller yesterday and pitched the yeast dry (a Safale K-97 German ale) into the carboy because I did not have time to make a starter. Am I infected or just paranoid and should hold off a while due to pitching the yeast dry.

You don't want to make starters with dry yeast. It helps to rehydrate it in water, but pitching it dry into a 12-plato beer is not going to kill them or cause excessive stress.

Thanks. Just nervous the is the SWMBO's that I am making for a party. How is the weather in Port H. I grew up in Grand Haven and really don't miss the slushy meltdown.

Been the heaviest winter here in the last 5 I've lived here and it's only a month old...had 2 feet of snow last weekend alone...and bitter cold the week before (-20 with windchill)...been warm this week, BUT it's supposed to rain tomorrow THEN nosedive back into the deep freeze tomorrow night..

And this is our big winterfest weekend.

Back