How much saffron threads to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOHHH Look down below at the "similar thread" box...there's two threads on saffron, and one of them is a Metheglin recipe...that may be a good recipe to look at to see what they used.

This new feature is cool when it works.

Good Luck! :mug:

scroll%20down.bmp

Yeah the recipe is from solstice, he said he really enjoyed that batch, so that would be enough for me to follow his recipe.

I'm pretty sure I used about half of whatever I ordered and I'm thinking I ordered a gram, although it could have been a whole gram. I do most of my posting at work and I don't have access to my mead log.

I did, however, use it in conjunction with some other spices. The saffron that I used was enough to turn the mead light yellow and it was enough to imart the classic saffron flavor as well. Be sure to lightly roast it first on a hot ungreased surface such as a small skillet.

IMG_1537.JPG

Yep. Considering I do a saffron only mead, do you think it will be better to use 1 gram instead of .5?

I just don't know how saffron comes through in mead.

Aslo, what temp would you reccomend roasting at? Can you do it in the oven?

Yep. Considering I do a saffron only mead, do you think it will be better to use 1 gram instead of .5?

Aslo, what temp would you reccomend roasting at? Can you do it in the oven?

I'm not sure on the roasting, maybe just use a dry fry pan and "toast" is a little.
As for the amt, use a little less, .5g, than you think you might need. If it needs more, you can always add and age a little longer, you can't "remove" it if you use too much to begin with. :mug:

In the immortal words of my local homebrew shop owner, "You can always add more, but never take away..."

Back