Blow off tube installed... now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
Okay so me hefe is super active, and my wife pointed out a foaming in the airlock. Well I went crazy :) I hooked up a blow off tube in record timing, first I had to find out how :)

Now i have it hooked up and into a starsan solution, but some of the foam is still coming out the hose(didn't make it into the solution, but will soon).

Is there something else I should be doing, the beer is at 67, I turned the heat down but it will take a few hours for the cooling to take effect on that volume of liquid.

You did what you are supposed to, attached a blow off tube to keep from having your beer paint the ceiling...now just let it off gas and spew into your container...Everything's fine!!!!!

I am still breathing heavy :) I guess I can go out tonight and not have to worry about the extra blowoff? Maybe I will use a bigger bucket for my blowoff water - my kitchen size bowl might not do it :)

:mug:Yep just sit back and listen to bump,bump bump bump bump bump bump,bump bump bump bump bump bump,bump bump bump bump bump for a while. Then replace your sanitzed air lock and then that will lull you to sleep.:mug:

:mug:Yep just sit back and listen to bump,bump bump bump bump bump bump,bump bump bump bump bump bump,bump bump bump bump bump for a while. Then replace your sanitzed air lock and then that will lull you to sleep.:mug:

You say a while? I was assuming tomorrow afternoon to hook up the airlock, maybe even tomorrow evening, you think I can do it tonight?

On a related note, I just brewed a Hefe yesterday and made a 2000ml starter for it. Right now the air lock is busy, but the foam on top is not even close to reaching the airlock (about 1 inch of yeasty foam goodness). Should I be having a more vigorous fermentation? Also, I have temp controler set to 68 degrees.

Sorry for the hijack!

One more question, my blow off tube goes down from where my ale pail is. Should I make it an uphill thing maybe I would not get so much foam/beer... or will that clog it?

On a related note, I just brewed a Hefe yesterday and made a 2000ml starter for it. Right now the air lock is busy, but the foam on top is not even close to reaching the airlock (about 1 inch of yeasty foam goodness). Should I be having a more vigorous fermentation? Also, I have temp controler set to 68 degrees.

Sorry for the hijack!

No, it is only as vigorous as it is. Some are explosive, some are not. It's normal either way, so don't worry about it at all. It's fermenting, and it's at a good temperature for your beer!

One more question, my blow off tube goes down from where my ale pail is. Should I make it an uphill thing maybe I would not get so much foam/beer... or will that clog it?

No, it's fine. I always put mine on the floor next to the primary. Just make sure you have a big enough container so it's not going to overflow if you get alot of blow off in there. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover the end of the tube, and you're all set. It might settle down in a day or two, but the blow off can stay on as long as you like. Some people use blow off tubes for the entire fermentation.

Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew. (or whatever else you can find). It's all good. Everything is fine. This is normal.

When the krausen drops (krausen is the foamy head in the fermenter), You can take off the blow-off tube and put a sanitized airlock back in there. Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes it takes a couple of days. Either way, you are fine.

Back