• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Johnson Controls A419 Digital Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAM_Yankee

Reaction score
This is a Johnson Controls A419 Digital Temp Controller with temperature probe included. I got a few of these but then decided not to use them in my new setup. I have both the pre-wired (male and female plug) and un-wired available, see pictures for difference. $45 shipped for un-wired, $60 shipped for pre-wired. Please PM with email address and wiring preference if interested. Thanks.

Compare to the one Northern Brewer is selling for $80 + shipping:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

IMG_20110427_184754.jpg

IMG_20110517_164125[1].jpg

Rec'd mine as well. I wasn't expecting a brand-new, unopened, factory sealed box though! Thanks.

I am interested in one. How long is the temp probe wire? Looks kinda short in the pic? Thank you.

They only have a 9 1/2 inch sensor lead. But the unit is watertight. So I will install mine inside of my chest freezer and basically set it and forget it. But if you wanted to, you could buy a longer sensor (6 1/2 foot lead) and replace it.

Homercidal said:
Got mine the other day. Looks pretty sweet. Short sensor leads, but I can deal with that. Good price for the watertight enclosure!

Ditto

Got mine in about 3-4 days!! Short lead, but it works fantastic.
When I have dedicated serving and lagering fridges, ill probably get a lead that fits into a thermowell. I love it!!

image-3125486739.jpg

Just made payment for a wired one!! I guess I gotta find that chest freezer now...deal was too good to wait.

Just wanted to add my $.02, but this dude is legit. I got my pre-wired controller a week ago and it looks super pro and is brand spankn new. I'm actually picking up a 7.2 cu. ft. chest freezer today after work so i can put that bad boy to work.:rockin:

+1 legit. We sent a few PM's and I got paypal request quickly, and my controller arrived in less time than most of my Northern Brewer orders. I will definitely do business here again.

Got mine the other day, super fast arrival considering it went all the way across the country.

Great deal for a pre-wired controller with a waterproof NEMA 4X enclosure. It has a short lead which is fine, but I'll just get a longer one eventually (they are easy to swap out according to the manual).

This would be a good time to mention that the probe lead can be lengthened fairly easily. You just need some 20/2 or 18/2 thermostat cable from the hardware store (they usually sell it off the reels, priced by the foot) and some wire nuts (but preferably butt splice connectors). The two termination points inside the controller for the probe can be wired either way so it's impossible to wire it backwards. If you use a little heat shrink wrap at the joint it is water resistant and looks good and neat.

Yes, there are still a couple of the wired ones left if anyone is interested. Just send me a PM and we'll go from there. Thanks!

This would be a good time to mention that the probe lead can be lengthened fairly easily. You just need some 20/2 or 18/2 thermostat cable from the hardware store (they usually sell it off the reels, priced by the foot) and some wire nuts (but preferably butt splice connectors). The two termination points inside the controller for the probe can be wired either way so it's impossible to wire it backwards. If you use a little heat shrink wrap at the joint it is water resistant and looks good and neat.

Very good point.

I wouldn't trust that sensor because the different manufacturers likely use different voltage ranges within the sensor... therefore it would likely not be accurate. I would go the route the OP suggested and just extend the sensor leads with 18-2 wire and shrink tubing. Even the manual from the manufacturer says that would be an acceptable means. The sensor for the A419 is the A99. But it is difficult to find online. I saw one on ebay a week or so ago and it was $28.00. 10 feet of 18-2 wire and some wire nuts or butt connectors with shrink tube will probably cost less than $10 and only take 10 minutes.

I got mine and it is in good shape. I will have to lengthen the wire but it is still cheaper than anywhere else online.

I wouldn't trust that sensor because the different manufacturers likely use different voltage ranges within the sensor... therefore it would likely not be accurate.
I picked up a cheap Ranco on eBay for my EMLT. In an attempt to speed up response time, I purchased the stainless probe and a thermowell from Brewers Hardware.

The Johnson Controller from this thread will be used to control fermentation temps, so speed is less of an issue. I'll give my old plastic Ranco probe a try on the Johnson and report back.

If they are interchangable and you're already buying a thermowell, the additional $12 for a longer stainless probe sounds like a good option.

Back