palmer on steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
palmer says to steep in 1gal per 1lb of specialty grain. so if i am doing 4gal boils do i really need to start with one for best flavor ? i cant just dump the bag in the 4gal at 160 ?

I've never heard of anybody adjusting the steeping grains to match their boil volume or vice versa. Just dump the bag in, it will be good

I've heard some people recommend doing what you're saying-- doing your steeping with one gallon, then adding the rest. Might help, but the truth is that most of us here just dump it in and steep with however much water we're boiling and nobody really has any problems.

I tried steeping in a smaller amount of water during my batch this weekend. Since I just brewed, I don't have an opinion on quality. I did notice one advantage, though. Since I'm boiling on a stove, I can steep in a smaller pot while the rest of my water comes up to boiling. It shaved about 30 minutes off of my brewday, which is the time it takes me to bring 4 gallons up to boiling.

Back