Brewing Trappist Ale at low temp. Will it be a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
I bought the Trappist Ale Kit with Wyeast Trappist Yeast from Midwest Supply. Currently it's brewing at 65 degrees and my buddy just told me that the belgian beers need to brew at a higher temp to get the correct flavors.

I tried to bring it up in temp but my basement is fighting me and I can't imagine I'll ever be able to get it over 70 degrees.

What is this going to do to my beer?

The short answer is your beer will still be tasty! It might not fare well in a competition but wonderfully in your belly. Because of my house temps, the low 60's is where I brew most all of my beers.

At a lower temp the yeast will produce less esters which add to a Belgian's flavor.

Is your primary portable? You could always bring it upstairs to your first or second level of your house. If your house is like mine the temperatures will bounce around in the low 70's but that may work better.

Don't believe the hype... Belgian Ale yeast is plenty funky to go around at that temp, and it'll have less fusel alcohol at that temp too. My 11% quad pistoles brew was done in the mid 60's for most of the active fermentation, and it was so Belgian it had to wait like a year to smooth out. Mega belgian. It fared well in competition, taking gold at the belgian table at 2008 Splitrock. I would suggest warming it up at the end to help attenuation.

If you want to raise the temp, get the fermenter off the floor. Its probably at least 10 degrees warmer a few feet off any basement floor. A blanket around the fermenter will help hold in some of the heat the yeasties generate too...

Thanks. I have a ferm belt around it and it sits on a carpet sample and wrapped in blanket as well. I'll let the ferm belt run all weekend and see how high I can get it.

"Don't believe the hype... Belgian Ale yeast is plenty funky to go around at that temp"
That makes me feel better because the temp range on the yeast started at 64 which made me think as long as I can keep the ferm going it just may take longer to finish off

I bought a $15 heating pad and it brings my temperatures up to the mid and upper 70's F. I just tie it to the side of the fermenter.

A Rubbermaid container full of water with an aquarium heater works wonders. My basement is currently in the low 40's and my dubbel is finishing up fermentation at 75 right now.

I bought the Trappist Ale Kit with Wyeast Trappist Yeast from Midwest Supply. Currently it's brewing at 65 degrees and my buddy just told me that the belgian beers need to brew at a higher temp to get the correct flavors.
I'd say that 65* is pretty much exactly right for where to ferment with this yeast. After a bit, you can raise the temperature some, but for the first days, keep it down and your beer will be astronomically better for it.

Yes, you can use drug store heating pads on glass carboys, I do it all the time.

And no, you don't need to (or want to, unless it's a saison, etc.) ferment higher than 70 for belgians. Every time I've done that, the beer has ended up harsh and hot. I would recommend slowly ramping up to the low 70's as fermentation starts to slow down. But during growth phase and much of fermentation, I like 65-67.

I've made the MW NT Ale kit once, and my conditions were on the "cool" side. Used the Wyeast Propagator. Fermentation in the mid-sixties, Secondary for 3 months at close to ambient in my basement, @ 59-61F, same with storage in bottles. Took several months in the bottle, but in the end a nice Belgian, very Corsendonk-y beverage. I'll do it again.

I've made the MW NT Ale kit once, and my conditions were on the "cool" side. Used the Wyeast Propagator. Fermentation in the mid-sixties, Secondary for 3 months at close to ambient in my basement, @ 59-61F, same with storage in bottles. Took several months in the bottle, but in the end a nice Belgian, very Corsendonk-y beverage. I'll do it again.

That is exactly what is happening in my world and I intend on giving it a while in the secondary. That helps a lot.

Thanks

Back