Aging/Cold Crashing/Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodlemania

Reaction score
My 2nd-ever batch of beer, a BB Weizenbier that I brewed 7/27, has done something recently that I can't explain.

For background, this kit uses Munton's (?) Amber and Wheat LME's with Munton's dry yeast.

Every bottle of this I've had since 3 weeks after bottling has been what I'd expect from a wheat beer - cloudy. Also, I never hit the target FG, which I've subsequently discovered Munton's yeast is notorious for. Therefore, the brew was a little "sweet". I had always chilled the beer for 1-3 days before drinking.

Fast forward to last night: Opened a bottle from this batch that had been in the fridge for ~ 3 weeks. Wow! The beer was clear as a filtered commercial beer. I could read through the glass. Also, the "sweetness" of the beer seemed to have diminished.

For the sake of science, I drank that beer and opened another just to be sure it wasn't a fluke. :)

Question is this: What caused the change in clarity/taste? Cold-crashing from being in the fridge longer? Normal aging of the beer?

I really liked how the beer developed, so I would like to put my finger on what exactly happened so I can be sure to repeat.

Did the bottle have a layer of yeast in the bottom? That would be my guess. Lots of particulates drop out over time and the cold accelerates it.

You could always swirl the last little bit of beer before pouring it to get put the yeast back in suspension to see if that helps.

Well people recommend that you chill your bottles for a week before drinking them (but who does) to reduce chill haze.

I think what you have is a combination of cold crashing, AND a long slow bottle conditioning in the cold...

Good for you.

:mug:

Well people recommend that you chill your bottles for a week before drinking them (but who does) to reduce chill haze.

I think what you have is a combination of cold crashing, AND a long slow bottle conditioning in the cold...

Good for you.

Wait, his beer was a Weizen. Didn't his patience ruin it????? :drunk:

Wait, his beer was a Weizen. Didn't his patience ruin it????? :drunk:

Technically, yes it did....but I wasn't going to tell him that....

:D

Boodlemania, uh...Wheat beers are traditionally served young and are cloudy from yeast in suspension...so in the future you might want to save this trick for non wheat beers.

Boodlemania, uh...Wheat beers are traditionally served young and are cloudy from yeast in suspension...so in the future you might want to save this trick for non wheat beers.

Precisely why I was confused! I just hope I can replicate on my non-wheat beers!

Back