Keggle/false bottom question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing an all-grain next weekend with my shiny new 15 gal Sanke keg. I made a whirlpool-style immersion chiller (50' of 5/8" OD copper) that I will be circulating ice water through via an immersible pump. I use a March pump to circulate the wort from the keggle to the pipe on the chiller to create the whirlpool while it cools.
My question is, should I use a SS braid in the kettle around the outer edge of the chiller to filter the wort before the pump, or should I buy a false bottom?
I can't seem to figure out if the false bottom is a wasted expense with the whirlpool or not. But I know I will have more wort left in the bottom of the keg if I go with the SS braid solution....
Ideas anyone?

WOW! Did I piss everyone off by the way I worded my question, or is one's first post invisible to other users?
Can't believe i didn't even get a smirky comment, much less a valuable opinion...

WOW! Did I piss everyone off by the way I worded my question, or is one's first post invisible to other users?
Can't believe i didn't even get a smirky comment, much less a valuable opinion...

Yeah, you really came across like a jerk in your first post!:D Just kidding... (Is that smirky enough?) I never saw this thread. It might also be helpful to post an introduction in the "Introductions" forum so we can get to know you a little.

Whichever way you decide for your keggle, I think it's best to collect the wort from as far to the outside circumference of the keggle as possible. This will help alleviate the whirlpooled trub getting stuck.

PS: Welcome to HBT!:mug:

This forum has become so active that if a thread isn't answered very quickly it may be pushed down the list quickly enough that everyone misses it. Your bump did the trick.

Both a false bottom and a braid are only effective at filtering whole hops. If you use pellet hops, neither will filter much. Several of us have built these, which are effective at filter both. It's just a giant nylon mesh bag clamped to a PVC coupler that is suspended above the keggle.

Regardless of your hop filtering method, I suggest your pickup tube go to the bottom of the keggle so you pull as much wort as possible out. If you get the cold break, there's no harm done to your beer.

Funny enough, I have been reading about these hop bags this morning. I am going to fab one of these this week and just plan on using a braid just to keep anything really "chunky" out of the pump while I am whirlpooling.
Your explanation is spot-on I think about the delay in responses. There is a LOT of activity here, but that is a good thing. I hope I didn't come off a too big of a jerk in my second post.

Latest posts

Back