Where's the body?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysdaddy

Reaction score
Kegged a brew yesterday, and am stumped by the results. This is an ESB, a copy of one that we previously did. Same ingredients, same mash schedule. The previous brew was very tasty. The current one has very little body/maltiness. Good bitterness.

The SG's of the first beer were 1.059 original gravity (post-boil) and 1.029 final.

The SG's of the second beer were 1.061 original and 1.030 final.

The one difference between the two was the time in fermenters. The second brew was in the primary 2x as long as the first brew, and in the secondary 3x as long as the first. Fermentation temps were fairly similar (controlled conditions).

Any guesses what may have happend to the body? Thanks.

Could be a simple matter of ingredients. Sometimes malts are different, not as fresh, etc.

Is it all grain? Did you mash at a lower temp on the second batch?

My guess also is that maybe with the longer ferment times, more yeasts and proteins dropped out of suspension, yeilding a clearer, less bodied beer.

Thanks for the reply. All grain. If anything, the mash temp might have been a little higher on second brew (temp rose quicker than expected). The grains were all bought at the same time and stored in sealed food grade containers- used only several weeks apart.

were the grains crushed at the same time or just prior to each brew session? if they were crushed at the same time, the later brew grains would not be near as fresh and probably dried out more.

the higher mash temp would have lended a more dextrinous wort, therefore a brew w/ more body. so it's not that one......

maybe it was the longer secondary as Dude suggested?

sounds like you force carb'd. u did have the co2 hooked up to the down-tube hu? i've done it before, and couldn't for the life of me figure out why my beer was flat and had no "body" due to lack of carbonation...... :~)

Hmmm. My brewing buddy kegged it before I arrived, and maybe it didn't get carbonated well. I think maybe I'll carbonate through the down tube just to make sure, up the pressure a little and let it sit a while.

Back