Dusty boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe American

Reaction score
No matter how carefully I adjust the mill rollers at my LBS, I still get dust in the grain sack,which then ends up in the brewpot.
I've read that boiling the grain is bad for flavor, so how can I (or should I- does it matter?) remove the dust before steeping?

Thanks in advance!

You can use a very fine mesh cloth, maybe one of those hop bags or a paint strainer, inline with the lauter system right before the kettle. Just wrap the mesh cloth around the hose transferes the wort into the kettle from the lauter tun. This way the mesh will catch all the fine particles before they go into the boil kettle.

<-- sorry, see over there where it says "junior member"?
Read "noob"!

orfy said:
Doesn't the mash tun take care of most of it?
It's actually the husk that is the no no for boiling. (Tannins)

Maybe I should have been more clear... stovetop quick-and-dirty partial mash technique, no equipment other than brewpot, grain steeping bag, strainer, funnel, and carboy.

I guess my question is this; is the dust from the husks? and if so, how can I avoid boiling it?
Is rinsing the grains with cold water prior to steeping a feasible solution?

Sorry Joe.

It'll be fine. I get bits in my boil and don't worry about it. the dust is just like flour. If it gets into the ferementer it'll drop ou if given time. the small amount that is boiled will not matter.

It really isn't a problem. What you want to be careful about is getting dust directly into the fermenters, so crushing should be done away from the main brewing area.

Back