I toasted my own grains and... It dont look too good...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxer

Reaction score
I toasted some two row this morning, 350 for 15 minutes. I used my toaster oven (preheated) and had it spread out in a single layer. After 10min it smelled like burnt bread so I took it out. Thing is it dont look no darker than maybe a crystal 40, I have some side by side and the toasted looks lighter, the hulls are not nearly as dark but the grain itself looks as dark... But I tasted it and it tastes kinda... burnt but not bitter. The C40 tastes sweeter. I dunno. I really dont want to add this to my grain bill if it is indeed jacked. The toasted malt is 7% of the grain bill. What is toasted malt supposed to taste like compared to... plain two row or C40?

Maybe next time I need to have the temp at maybe 300 or a hair less so the grains toast slower? Opinions?

I toasted some two row this morning, 350 for 15 minutes. I used my toaster oven (preheated) and had it spread out in a single layer. After 10min it smelled like burnt bread so I took it out. Thing is it dont look no darker than maybe a crystal 40, I have some side by side and the roasted looks lighter, the hulls are not nearly as dark but the grain itself looks as dark or darker... But I tasted it and it tastes kinda... burnt but not bitter. The C40 tastes sweeter. I dunno. I really dont want to add this to my grain bill if it is indeed jacked. The toasted malt is 7% of the grain bill. What is toasted malt supposed to taste like compared to... plain two row or C40?

Maybe next time I need to have the temp at maybe 300 or a hair less so the grains toast slower? Opinions?

Toasted malt doesn't taste at all like crystal 40L, but it tastes, well, like toasted malt. :D

It should NOT taste burnt, though. I think the toaster oven got too hot. Try it in a 325 degree oven, for about 15 minutes or so, stirring often.

Have you looked at this yet?

The other thing you need to remember is that toasted malt needs time to sit out and let some of the harsher smells dissipate. I don't remember where I read it, but I've been told to put the grains in a paper sack and letting it sit for about a week.

Wow... I did not know that it needs to sit out to "offgas" non tasty aromatics. Hmmm... I still have time to figure this out. Not brewing till Tuesday. I know that aint exactly a week or two but... I also have my timeline cause of my starter but that can go in the fridge till next weekend. Just from sitting out and cooling the batch now smells like peanuts.

Thanks for posting that page Doug! Score!!!!

350F is way too hot unless you are trying to make a really dark grain and even still you need to spray it with water periodically to keep the grain from burning.

If you give it a week or so to air out it will mellow some.

So then would it be safe to say that if it was truly burned, then the burned smell would never go away? I ask cause the aroma is still changing to a lighter roasted peanut flavor.

Meh. I chucked that batch of grain in the back yard. Better safe than sorry. Besides, Bambi has to eat too ya know...

I did some once can't remember what temp I used but it turned out nice. I used it as a sub for victory and while it wasn't dead on it had a nice toasted cracker taste. Maybe try it again in a regular oven.

FWIW I toasted a few pounds of 2 row for a pale ale a few weeks ago and didn't do the "rest" that many talk about. After toasting I let it cool and added directly to my mash. The beer turned out fantastic. I only toasted for 30 minutes at 275 though. Time and temp may be a factor.

Well round two came out much better. Toasted the malt at 300 for 45 minutes, wanted to take things slow and the difference between this and yesterday were tremendous. If I would have used that burned stuff yesterday in my beer I would have really screwed it up. This time around I got a light toasted hardly nutty aroma. Nut aroma and flavor is not quite what I want in the recipe. Right now I am happy, we will see how the beer comes out.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, you guys are great!!!

Back