Natural Yeast from Raisins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,

I was searching around YouTube today for videos on capturing wild yeast for sour ales. I came across this video on acquiring natural yeast from a few different items and one being raisins. I am currently trying this just to see what my luck brings. I know this video is meant for natural bread but has anyone out there ever tried it for making beer? If so, please share your experience and knowledge.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
McCuckerson said:
I do recall someone saying they carbed with raisins...

That is very interesting.... Raisins are a very common use in wine as a means to add body right? I am just wondering if a box of store bought raisins still have natural yeast on them after processing....

If there's a market that has a "bulk" section near you, you might try that. I have two markets near me that both have bulk raisins. While I don't really have anything to back it up, it seems like they would go through much less processing, etc. Now what they picked up while sitting in a bulk bin at the store is another matter...

If there's a market that has a "bulk" section near you, you might try that. I have two markets near me that both have bulk raisins. While I don't really have anything to back it up, it seems like they would go through much less processing, etc. Now what they picked up while sitting in a bulk bin at the store is another matter...

I agree but I'd like to find out.... who know what kind of wild bugs and yeasties can be found.

Update:

The first set (TOP ROW) were taken Saturday and I started to see a little activity from both jars... The currants seemed to be more active. This morining when I checked, the raisins (LEFT) are kicking butt!! I am happy to see them begining to look like the YouTube video above. The pictures aren't the greatest but I'll try to get them better next update.

Cheers!

1.jpg

1.1.jpg

1.2.jpg

2.2.jpg

I'm growing blackberries, blueberries, logan berries, two varieties of grapes, and I have a fig tree. When I get some fruit I am totally trying this. A nice wheat with fruit made with collected yeast sounds awesome.

Update:

The first set (TOP ROW) were taken Saturday and I started to see a little activity from both jars... The currants seemed to be more active. This morining when I checked, the raisins (LEFT) are kicking butt!! I am happy to see them begining to look like the YouTube video above. The pictures aren't the greatest but I'll try to get them better next update.

Cheers!

I'm growing blackberries, blueberries, logan berries, two varieties of grapes, and I have a fig tree. When I get some fruit I am totally trying this. A nice wheat with fruit made with collected yeast sounds awesome.

I would love to try this out with figs, I'm in a suburb of Cleveland. Down town we have our famous Westside Market. I have gotten some nice figs from there before maybe another experiment is in the near future. :tank:

That is very interesting.... Raisins are a very common use in wine as a means to add body right? I am just wondering if a box of store bought raisins still have natural yeast on them after processing....

Raisins tend to be sulfited, so I doubt you'd ever get viable yeast off of them. Other fruits, sure.

Raisins tend to be sulfited, so I doubt you'd ever get viable yeast off of them. Other fruits, sure.

Thanks for the info Yooper. Have you done this before? If so, which fruits have worked best for you?

"Commercially grown dried raisins may be treated with sulfur dioxide gas during processing. They may also be treated with sulfites to extend their shelf life.

Sulfur-containing compounds are often added to dried foods like raisins as preservatives to help prevent oxidation and bleaching of colors. The sulfites used to help preserve dried raisins cause adverse reactions in an estimated one out of every 100 people, who turn out to be sulfite sensitive.

Sulfite reactions can be particularly acute in people who suffer from asthma. The Federal Food and Drug Administration estimates that 5 percent of asthmatics may suffer a reaction when exposed to sulfites.

Foods that are classified as "organic" do not contain sulfites since federal regulations prohibit the use of these preservatives in organically grown or produced foods. Therefore, concern about sulfite exposure is yet another reason to purchase organic foods."

Source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=33

Does this mean Organic raisins may provide viable yeast?

Update:

Today when I came home from work the raisins are still kicking butt and looking more and more like the video on the OP. On the other hand, the mixture of natural currants wasn't doing much until I made a small starter from honey and now it has formed a Kraussen! :ban:

1.1.jpg

2.1.jpg

1.2.jpg

2.2.jpg

Update:

Last night I made a traditional starter 2 cups water and 1/2 cup DME boiled for 10 minutes. I pitched the two in and now the first (raisin) is moving but very slow and the second (currants) is rocking! The socond looks like a traditional fementaion and smells of banana. Maybe it'll turn out belgian-y

raisin.jpg

currants.jpg

Back