Possible Dip tube issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhilGood

Reaction score
Hey Guys I searched for similar problems and found a few threads but can't seem to figure this one out. So I have a 1/2" SS dip tube in my keggle, connected to a 1/2" compression fitting to the bulkhead. I noticed if I fill the keggle with water and open the valve the water seems to flow out of the valve at a compromised speed. Not entirely slow but not what it should be. Seems like there isn't enough pressure but I have 5+ gallons so there should be plenty.

During the testing I tipped the keggle towards myself and set it back flat and noticed a big difference with the flow rate. It was a lot more even and consistent coming from the valve.

So this is the second time I took the whole assembly apart and reapplied teflon and re tighten all the fittings. It is as tight as I can possible get it so there shouldn't be any leaks.

Any input would be appreciated.

Setup is :

1/2" SS dip tube, 1/2" compression fitting to 1/2" SS coupler to 1/2" SS bulkhead (bargain fittings) and a 2 piece ball valve with 1/2" TC x npt adapter.

Try your experiment with enough 1/2" ID tubing attached to the outside of the bulkhead (presumably, to the ball valve attached thereto) to drop a few feet below and see what happens...

Cheers!

As day_trippr said, you get a full siphon effect by using a hose below the level of the end of your pickup tube. You will have some air in the valve / tube until you tilt it forward to get the flow going. As soon as the liquid level drops to the bottom of the valve, you will break siphon if you don't have a hose on the outside.

Latest posts

Back