Upcoming porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-tone

Reaction score
First of all, I'm sorry if this is breaking a rule, but I posted this in the extract brewing section and got no response, so I don't know if this just sucks as a topic or if it was in the wrong section. So, sorry for the double post but I've got a couple questions for the wisdom of the panel before jumping into my first porter.

I'm actually shooting for a pretty bitter, more of a robust porter, less sweetness than some. I'm very partial to Bully! Porter if anyone is familiar, what I consider to be a pretty bitter, American style porter.

Anyway, here's now I'm looking so far:

5.5# XLDME
.75# chocolate malt
.5# caramunich
.5# special b
.25# roasted barley

.75 oz chinook (60)
.25 oz columbus (60)
.5 oz columbus (30)
.25 oz chinook (30)
1 oz cascade (steep)

wyeast #1084 Irish ale

Promash marks this out to 78 IBU, which I know is a little high for the style, but too many hops never really hurt anbody, right?
I'd also consider throwing in black patent instead of the roasted, I suppose that's more of a porter grain?
Also up for opinion is the yeast. I've used the 1084 with much success for stouts, but was wondering what types anyone else has used for a porter. I'd like something pretty dry and crisp, thinking about possibly 1098? Never used it but seemed possible. I've got a few pacman's left, any thoughts?
Anyway, all thoughts and comments are welcomed and very much appreciated! Thanks!

If you do use some black patent, I'd keep it under 2 oz. Can't say as I've even seen a porter with a left coast IPA hop profile, but we are homebrewers. It's close to what I use for my 3CPA. You might consider Nugget instead of Chinook.

Thanks for the input. I know the hops are a little odd, but I'm stretching it out there to see what happens. That Bully that I was mentioning uses magnum, simcoe, ahtanum, and cascade, so I figured I might try some other American varieties. Oddly enough the HopUnion variety databook lists porters as possible styles for chinooks, so that's where it came from. Also, I've got lots on hand at the moment. Thanks again.

I would also suggest subbing BP for the roasted. I might not use a full 0.25 lb. though, like David says. Other than than, I think that's about it...I'm not too sure about the hop bill, but hey, let us know how it turns out!

4 oz of BP is not too much. It is just right for a porter....especially one with those hops in it.

Heck I use 4 ozs of BP and 4oz of roasted in my porter.

Back