My 1st recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welcherHB

Reaction score
My first recipe. It is going to be an oatmeal stout.
Ingredients:
5 lbs Alexanders LME
grains:
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1/2 lb Coffee Malt (Simpson's)
1/2 lb Caramel 60L
1/2 lb flaked barley
1 lb Golden Naked Oats, Simpson's (UK)
1 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings (30 min)
WL004 - Irish Ale Yeast

Originally it was also going to be my 1st AG brew. But I can't yet.
My first question - did I substitute enough LME for the base malt?
Also, the more I look at this, the more I think I may be over-doing it with the specialty grains (in terms of amounts - 1/2 lb each). The perfectionist in me questions this, but the homebrewer instinct says, of course, "don't worry!"
Any thoughts?
Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR HOMEBREWERS!!!
:rockin: :mug: :rockin:

did I substitute enough LME for the base malt?

You need to tell us what the original quantity of base malt was to get an answer to that question.

Also, the more I look at this, the more I think I may be over-doing it with the specialty grains (in terms of amounts - 1/2 lb each). The perfectionist in me questions this, but the homebrewer instinct says, of course, "don't worry!"
Any thoughts?

The specialty malts don't seem out of line. However, the flaked barley and oats are only going to get wet unless you mash them with pale malt.

Holy cow. Sorry about that! It was originally 8 lbs base malt.
Also, I didn't know that about the oats and barley. Thanks.

I've only used those golden naked oats once (in an amber ale) but I don't think that they are interchangeable with oatmeal. I think they're different- malted maybe?- while oatmeal is just rolled oats.

Apparently I need to pay closer attention when I'm putting these things together. The golden naked oats aren't supposed to take the place of oatmeal. It's a specialty grain that contributes a bit of nutty flavor and supposedly helps with giving the beer a nice head.

Back