what is a fair price

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just paid 15 bucks for 5 cases, three of which had plastic carriers. But they were about 10 years old, and not entirely clean (but nothing that bleach and a jet wash couldnt fix).

that's a tough one- I was just given 3 cases de-labeled, but dirty bottles for free and just had another offer for 9 more free cases from another brewer in town. With how easy it is to get them from bars, I wouldn't charge much.

yeah kinda figured that Id sell them at 5 for a dollar, but seems as though that might be a bit high. still the local home brew store sells them for a dollar each, and I've seen people buying them.

I consider regular beer bottles "pay it forward" items, I give them away, and only ask that whoever takes them, helps out another brewer in some way in the future. Now grolsch bottles are a different story.

I consider regular beer bottles "pay it forward" items, I give them away, and only ask that whoever takes them, helps out another brewer in some way in the future. Now grolsch bottles are a different story.

I concur, I've given out dozens of cases and its come back more times than not.

I say $5 a case is valid..... but you have to tell them how to get the labels off their own bottles in the future (oxiclean). I'm in the middle of trying to clean up some disgusting Grolsch bottles right now that had been stored in someones attic for years. They are honestly disgusting and I'm not sure I'll be able to use them. Also delabeling some awesome Victory Belgian bottles that were free.

My LHBS sells used bottles for $5 a case. I recently paid $80 (IIRC) for a LOAD of bottles (more than I'll ever need; about 10 cases total, some of them flip tops), a bench capper and a bottle tree.

.10 each Double deposit. You've put the labor into delabeling the bottles...

+1
I can buy as many brown, labeled/dirty bottles as I want for 5 cents/each at the local beer store. I figure a scoop of generic Oxyclean per case of bottles and a run through the dish washer adds 5-10 more cents. More than that, and they'd better have beer in them IMO.

I like the $0.05 each idea. Or a 6-pack of good beer. Be a nice dude! Keeping people from wasting their money is reward enough. I mean, considering all the free or nearly-free advice I've gotten on this forum, or the money it's saved me by teaching me how to make things on my own, I'd be more than happy to contribute a few cases of bottles to the cause.

Back