when a recipe calls for tea for tannin.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
if it calls for 1 tbsp, does it mean of brewed tea, or powdered tea (ie: out of the bag)?

thanks!

Depends on the recipe, but I doubt it would mean 1 tbsp of brewed tea, that would litererally be a "drop in the bucket." My guess (and it's just a guess) would be 1 tbsp of tea leaves. Every recipe is different though, could be just 1 tbsp in 5 or 6 gallons, it could be per gallon; it all depends on the recipe & what it's author had in mind while developing it. Regards, GF.

well, I went ahead and used the tea leaves. Its probably what the recipe meant, as I was making a one gallon batch, and it came out to the equivalent of like 2 and a half tea bags. NOTHING compared to a gallon of product. However now, I have another issue. I have a one gallon batch ferementing in a one gallon jug, and I checked on it yesterday, and the fermentation valve is filled with wine and cofee. WTF. This recipe called to be made in a onbe gallon vessel. Should I be worried? Should I strain it? what should I do?

I would have filtered out the tea/coffee first but you didn't so remove the airlock cover the fermenter w/ tinfoil clean the airlock and replace it.

yup I def didn't do that Yeastie. Ive cleaned the airlock, and moved the must to a 5 gallon bucket, and covered it w/ and airlocked top. Should I strain the must to get out the coffee and other strawberry gunk? I dont want to loose this batch. lol.

If you filter the must before it is all fermented you run a very high risk of infection. 1 tbsp is a very tiny amount and generally fruit is kept in for a while don't worry just rack in a month or two and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back