Calypso hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtotten

Reaction score
Just noticed them on HopsDirect. Has anyone tried these yet?

Here are their vitals:

Calypso Pellet Hop

Alpha Acid 12.0%
Dual Purpose Hop
Pleasant, fruity aroma, with hints of pear and apple
Typical Brewing Styles: Ales, Stouts and Barley Wines.

I am ordering some soon because that sounds like it'd pair perfectly with a Belgian IPA. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone happen to have any more input here? I'm getting a pound of Calypso in today and would be curious to see where it should go. I like the idea of using them for a Belgian IPA, but probably won't have a chance to make it for a while as I'm planning on doing a single-hop Sonnet Red and a stout before my next IPA experiment. Too many experimental hops!

Anyone happen to have any more input here? I'm getting a pound of Calypso in today and would be curious to see where it should go. I like the idea of using them for a Belgian IPA, but probably won't have a chance to make it for a while as I'm planning on doing a single-hop Sonnet Red and a stout before my next IPA experiment. Too many experimental hops!

How about a single-hop (SMaSH perhaps?) pale ale or IPA with the Calypso. I almost ordered a pound from HopsDirect but opted for a pound of Bravo. I think Calypso will be my next experiment.

If you do an all-Calypso brew, be sure to post your results!

I'm definitely interested. Then again, I'm usually interested in the description under the name of any hop variety..

How about a single-hop (SMaSH perhaps?) pale ale or IPA with the Calypso. I almost ordered a pound from HopsDirect but opted for a pound of Bravo. I think Calypso will be my next experiment.

I'll be doing one of these in the near future for sure. I'll update this thread when it's ready.

Brewed a single-hop calypso APA on sunday. The apple/pear aroma descriptor is spot on for the raw hops. I'm curious to see how it turns out after fermentation. I'll post the results when it's done. Here's the recipe I use for all my single-hop brews when I want to learn about a specific variety:

8.5 lbs. Am. 2 row
1.5 lbs. Light Munich
0.75 lb. C40
0.5 lb. Carapils

0.75 oz. Calypso @ 60
1.0 oz. Calypso @ 20
1.0 oz. Calypso @ 0

Ferment w/ Cal ale yeast.

I was considering doing a single-hop red with it, but think I'll go with sonnet for that one. I'll try a Calypso IPA in a few weeks, but I see someone else is going to beat me to the punch before then. Looking forward to those results!

Incidentally, I initially opted for Bravo as well. ... Then got both. And Sonnet. And Horizon... Couldn't help myself. And now I'll probably get a pound of the Falconer's Flight from the LHBS just because I can't resist the new stuff. Or because I'm an idiot; time will tell.

Dang hop descriptors make everything sound delicious, interested to see how things turn out for all you brave souls!

Ordered some today. Going to single hop a pale soon.

12lb 2-row
8oz Crystal 40
8oz Carapils

.5oz@60
1.5@15
1@flame out

1oz dry hop 5 days

WLP001

Playing off craig's recipe below, I used BeerSmith to convert it (and then tweaked slightly) into a partial mash:

5 gallon boil, mash around 152F for 45 minutes
1lb DME
5lb LME (add w/ 30 min left)
2lb Pale 2-row
.5lb Carapils/dex
.5lb Munich 10L
.25 crystal 40L

Hops: All Calypso (12.8%AA)
1oz FWH
1oz 5min
1oz flameout (steep for 10min)
1oz dry hop (7 days)
Estimated OG: 1.062, FG: 1.014, IBU: 56.4

Haven't picked the yeast yet, but I figured something like US05 or WLP001, or maybe Denny's since I have some lying around. Anybody have suggested changes or see anything that seems drastically out of place?

yes, ...good means many things...I think Ice cream is good, I think SPAM is good....but what type of "good" is Calypso Hops in your Beer?
:)

I kegged the calypso APA a few days ago. It's still clearing up, but here are a few observations. My OG was 1.052 and it finished at 1.006 using US05. I fermented on the cooler side to keep ester production low. The hop-attributed aroma is moderate pome fruits (apple, pear, quince,...) and complements the munich malt extremely well. With 1 oz. at flameout the aroma is present but not overpowering. I think this would pair well with a hop having a more tropical aroma (e.g. Citra).
The flavor is very smooth and again goes well with the graininess of the Munich and enhances the sweetness of the crystal.
This hop definitely has an assertive, yet not harsh, bitterness to it. It is well-rounded and lingering. The 12.0% feels a touch conservative, but this could also be a result of my low FG.
Overall I think this a great new hop that works equally well at all stages with no real negative points, unless you don't like apples, but then again this character is pretty subtle. I think it's a great alternative to the more citrusy hops, offering a new flavor and aroma profile to play with. It definitely has an American character to it and would do well in all types of Am. ales. I think it would be great in any beer that calls for at least a moderate ester profile. Belgians come to mind. I liked them enough to toss an ounce in my saison at flameout.

Thanks for the update Craig; sounds awesome, and definitely makes me glad I scooped up a pound of it in my last shipment! Funny you should mention it with citra; from the accounts so far, I've been brainstorming an IIPA with Calypso/Citra because they sound quite complementary. How do you think it would fare with a belgian yeast (say, 1214)?

when i say good I mean i like it very much, i cant really put a word on the actual taste. I did use 2 diffrent hops which are Calypso and Cascade, and I am dry hopping Calypso. I used my normal pale ale recipe , just changed hops to Calypso.

Cracked the pound of Calypso tonight; planning the single-hop IPA with it tomorrow morning. First impressions of the hop itself: apple and grassiness seem prevalent so far. Maybe hints of pear. Definitely no tropical or citrusy aspects to it so far. I'll update tomorrow after the brew session.

Planning a pale ale for tommorow with Super galena for bittering, then

1 oz Citra @ 20
.5 oz Calypso and .5 oz Ahtanum @ 15
.5 oz Calypso and .5 oz Ahtanum @ 10
1 oz Calypso and 1 oz Ahtanum @ 5 or knockout

looking to get just a bit of citrus flavor for the 20 min addition, then showcase some flavor and the aromas from calypso and ahtanum, both of which I have not used before. I'll psot back when it is done with some tasting notes

The IPA brewing got delayed until last night; in using the hop, the grassy notes seem to come out stronger in the flavor. I didn't notice any of the apple or pear in the hydrometer sample, but then again they would've easily been covered by the malt. It's bubbling away now, so in a few weeks I'll have a better idea of its impact.

Howdy,

I brewed a Calypso/2Row SMASH this morning with WY1450.
I got more green grass and flowery/herbal notes than apple and pear. Still smelled great.
I'll report back when it's done fermenting.

Cheers,
Bob

I just got in a pound of Calypso yesterday, and have been working on an IPA for them. I'm going to be using them with Falconers Flight, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Warrior. Can't wait to see how these work together! I'm glad to hear the positive feedback on the Calypso so far as the descriptors for it were very interesting.

have had an ounce of these whole leaf waiting in the freezer for a month now. originally bought them to sub for Simcoe as my LHBS was out, but ended up using the ones that came with my AHS Anniversary IPA Kit anyway. Are you finding the Calypso at all similar to Simcoe or are they as drastically different as their descriptors sound?

Hoping to use them in a Smuttynose Inspired IPA soon...seems like I may end up with a fruit basket in my carboy.

I'm not getting a lot of simcoe out of them, myself; I'm bottling my IPA tomorrow, so I'll try to get some more useful descriptors of their in-beer impact shortly thereafter :).

Howdy,

I just tasted my Calypso SMASH and I don't get a lot of anything!
Very little fruit or hop aroma, more of a fresh grassy note and the flavor is a bit fruity although I can't say it's distinctly pear or apple. More of a hint of citrus.
I'm kegging it in a few days and will dry hop half and report back on that.

Cheers,
Bob

Mother Bleeeeeep!

I ordered 1lb of Cascade from Hopsdirect. After brewing 3 batches that tasted "off", they now suspect sent me 1lb of Calypso mislabeled as Cascade.

Suscribed to this thread for recipe ideas. I still have 8oz of the hops and 15 gallons of fruity IPAs and APAs. Mother bleeeeeeep!

(Oh, and hopsdirect is sending me 1lb of Cascade today, but I'm still pissed about the 15 gallons of screwed up beers)

I actually made a late hopped calypso/ahtanum PA that turned out really well, consider using a blend of the calypso and cascade in the hop burst fashion, with all/most of the additions made heavy and withing the last 15-20 mins of the boil

My Calypso IPA is finished up and drinking now (albeit a bit green), and I have to admit... I don't get much of anything from it. It reminds me of Warrior, a bit, in that I hopped the hell out of it (with 2oz of dry hops to boot), and it's just ... nothing. A little grass, maybe a little floral; if there's any fruit to it, it's *very* light.

I suspect I'll be relegating this hop to the "bittering" usage, henceforth. Just not enough aroma or flavor for me to use it elsewhere. But on the bright side, it *does* bitter very well. Good smoothness, although that might be amplified by the fact that it was FWH.

How does the apple character of the hop compare to acetaldehyde (which I am super-sensitive to)?

How does the apple character of the hop compare to acetaldehyde (which I am super-sensitive to)?

The 3 beers I accidentally made with this hop reminded me of "fruity esters" but nothing as severe as acetaldehyde.

The 3 beers were:

Colombus/Calypso IPA - This was truly fruity due to a fermentation temp issue.
Centennial/Calypso APA - This beer is a little green in bottles right now but tastes legit and good.
SNPA clone Magnum/Perle/Calypso - Not anything like SNPA due to the presence of FIVE OUNCES of the wrong hop between late additions and dry hopping. Still not an awful APA. Just not SNPA. :(

I made an APA using only this hop....I agree with others in regards to this new hop, basicly nothing... earthy, grass and basicly not much else. No real flavor or aroma. Again, I will probably use it for bittering, as I still have almost a pound of it left.

Latest posts

Back