how long on cracked grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12pmmike

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew how long cracked grain can sit around before being mashed? I know it is best if used asap but things happen. like overtime at work. If a week goes by and then the grains are mashed, what are the effects on the brew? By the way this is my first thread with this site so be easy on me:mug:

You will get a huge variety of answers to this question. I am comfortable using it up to four weeks after crushing, but I have seen people recomend using it up to three months after it is crushed. The best advice may be to taste it before you use it and make your own call. I always taste my grain and I can tell a difference by taste when it has been sitting for awhile.

Hey! That makes me feel a lot better. With a loving wife that allows me my hobby and two time consuming kids, it is hard to find time to brew. Most of the time i find myself brewing in the middle of the night. Im sure most everyone knows how i feel. happy beer making.

I have used grain sealed in zip-lock bags up to 6 months after crushing. I'm not saying it was the best beer, but it was beer. Fresher is better, but less fresher isn't bad..

I rarely let it go more than a week or so after crushing, but a few weeks shouldn't hurt. I would throw it in the fridge to keep it fresh while you wait.

Uncrushed, it could last a year or so if kept under good conditions.

Losing enzyme activity is not the problem if it is properly stored (I did the experiment - it lasts a loooong time). The problem is the flavors going stale, just like with most food items. Again here, this too will depend on how it was stored. If it's been cool and airtight, it will keep fresh longer. If it is in an open bag on top of your fridge, it would probably go stale pretty quick - but it still could be used to make beer (it might not taste the best though)

Back