710 IBU? Coopers IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its a misprint and should be 71 IBU. Note that they also list the color as 230 EBC (which is impossible); its likely 23 EBC (or about 12 SRM).

They say the taste threshold for IBUs is about 100, but that doesn't stop some of us from making IIPAs with 270 IBUs, but 710 would be along the lines of would you like some beer with your hops.

The maximum IBUs for an ale boiled at 212F is around 100. Very high gravity ales might hit 110. The calculating programs are not accurate above 100 IBU. To go higher, you have to boil under pressure. make a concentrate or do steam extraction.

The maximum IBUs for an ale boiled at 212F is around 100. Very high gravity ales might hit 110. The calculating programs are not accurate above 100 IBU. To go higher, you have to boil under pressure. make a concentrate or do steam extraction.

I agree with this premise, but that does not mean that a beer that's 100 ibu and the same beer with 3x as many hops that BeerSmith says comes in at 300 ibu taste anywhere near the same (I have done this).

There may only be 100 ibu's that contribute to bitterness and are perceptable to the human palate, but there's a lot more to using hops than just bitterness.

You're not crazy...this came up back in April on a thread and I did some digging...I found this info on teh googlez back then...

I fell for that one myself. 710 IBU and 560IBU is for the bitterness at 1.7kg level. By the time you dilute to (say) 23litres, the IBU of the wort is no where near that level.

Coopers Kits

Lager 90 EBC 390 IBU
Draught 130 EBC 420 IBU
Real Ale 230 EBC 560 IBU
Bitter 420 EBC 620 IBU
Dark Ale 550 EBC 590 IBU
Stout 1800 EBC 710 IBU
Canadian Blonde 70 EBC 420 IBU
Bavarian Lager 90 EBC 390 IBU
Mexican Cerveza 53 EBC 300 IBU
Australian Pale Ale 90 EBC 340 IBU

This is for the concentrated form in the can - to get the figure for 23litres: multiply by 1.25 and divide by 23.
To convert EBC to SRM: SRM = (EBC - 1.2)/2.65

Therefore 710 IBU in can = 710 x 1.25 divided by 23 litres = 38 IBUs.

Here's a followup post with an email exchange between a homebrewer and someone @ Cooper's.

Quote:
QUOTE (My email)
How do you calculate how bitter a beer is?

I made a Coopers Bitter, which from your website says is 620 IBU. This is the bitterness of the tin yes?

If made to 23L, what would the bitterness of the beer be?

Would it be 620IBU/23L = 27IBU?

Thanks for your help,
Rob.

And got the reply:

QUOTE (Coopers reply)
G'day Robert. You're close. You also need to take into account the volume of can (1.25l) and allow 5% loss during fermentation:

(620 X 1.25)/23 X 95% = 32 IBU

Cheers, Frank.

he 38... that's kindof weal for an IPA is'nt it hehe
I see though. it's the ibu in it's extract form.

You wanna hear something that will rock your world?

Basicbrewing Radio said:
March 20, 2008 - What Is an IBU . . . Really?
John Palmer, author of How to Brew, shares information from a conference that challenged his concept of what defines an International Bitterness Unit (IBU).

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-20-08ibu.mp3

He even re-evaluates what he wrote in How to Brew.

Back