What's Brewing This Weekend (2-18/19)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Another weekend is upon us. I'll actually be in Madison, WI on Saturday with a buddy at a model train show. After the show, we head to The Great Dane Brewpub for food, a few pints and some growlers to take back to the motel room!:tank:

But I got a head start by taking a couple of hours off this afternoon (Thurs. 2-17) and I'm brewing right now!:D :rockin: I'm 30 mins. into a 60 min. mash of my Dortmunder Pretzel Munchin' Beer - a lager. And it's only 5pm!:cool:

What's everyone up to this weekend?!

I got two batches of wine and two batches (or maybe 3 if my lager is done) to bottle. So I'm doing a lot of dishes, is the long and the short of it. Luckily, I have just enough room on my brew bench to squeeze a pint glass, so I can look for inspiration while I "work".

Well, it looks like HBA finally shipped my order, so I'll probably have it tomorrow. That means I can brew 06.06.06 this weekend if I want to. I have to go to a judging competition at St. George's Saturday morning--if it isn't too cold and nasty here I may brew after that. Otherwise it is mid-week next week.

I brewed today though, does that count for the weekend? :cool:

No brewing this weekend but I will be racking my ESB to the secondary. Tonight I'm going to try a pint of my Windy Winter and see how it turned out. I will probably go to my LHBS tomorrow to pick up some supplies and the ingredients for my next brewing session which will be the weekend after this one.

Saturday a buddy and i are heading to Indy to take in a BWW that supposedly has 42 brews on tap, plus 100+ different in bottles. Sunday I'm hoping to brew up a Nut Brown Ale (unless im too hungover which is a definite possibility). Gotta rack my Porter into the secondary also. Maybe get a head start on cleaning and sanitizing some bottles as well. <--Probably not the last one tho:p

on saturday me and my brew partner get to brew on the pilot sysytem for a local brewery. he's doing a rogue XS smoke ale clone, i think or some sort of rauchbier at least. anyways were excited to brew on a nice system with a pro, and in the words of the brewer, we'll start drinking by 8, be drunk by noon. hopefully we'll make a good connection in the industry too...at the least we drink free beer all day and have a hookup for a couple strains (american, belgian, maybe 1 more) of free yeast.

I'll be brewing my Maibock either Saturday or Sunday. The exact day will depend on the weather. I already have about 50ml yeast slurry propagated from an Whyeast smack pack. I hope to get close to 80ml by the time I will be pitching.

Kai

Kai said:
I'll be brewing my Maibock either Saturday or Sunday. The exact day will depend on the weather. I already have about 50ml yeast slurry propagated from an Whyeast smack pack. I hope to get close to 80ml by the time I will be pitching.

Kai

I was thinking of doing a Maibock but I couldn't settle on a recipe. Doing a basic lager on Presidents Day:rockin: Also looking for a good extract Oktoberfest recipe to let sit for the summer.

I can't decide whether to brew a porter or a nutbrown. The nutbrown wasn't planned, but I took stock of grains and hops, and I've got everything I need already and should really use the stuff up before it gets any older.

but I really WANT the porter...

argh.:mad:

Looks like Nut brown/brown is in the lead this weekend making a Nut Brown myself and maybe bottling a Blackberry wheat if I can get a new bottling bucket before Sunday and caps.

This weekend I'm bottling my porter and brewing a kolsch. I am looking forward to trying the porter when it's done as I don't think I've ever had one. I suppose I could try to find some in the store to see what it tastes like.

My kolsch batch from the fall took a long time to get good. At first I thought it was a bad batch. I started drinking it anyway and when it finally got good I was p*issed to find out that I had less than a case left of it. I hope this batch turns out to be similar to the first.

Well, once I bottle I am gunna try a spiced cider, and as for the beer, I'm going to the brew shop to play Eenie, Meenie, Minee, Moe, with the wall of beer, and see which one jumps out at me, failing that, my standard Diamonback Munich Lager

SFA... again! I boought all the ingredients for a maibock and the second I walked out the door of the LHBS my phone rang and it was time to go to a drilling rig. Did I mention it's -34C?

I'm so lonely.

I'm planning to brew either an amber/red American with a buddy, or if he craps out I'm doing an Aventinus clone. However, since I'm sick as a dog at the moment and the weather is not looking pleasant this weekend I may crap out, as well.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Also looking for a good extract Oktoberfest recipe to let sit for the summer.

I did the Maerzen extract recipe from one of the Papazian books shortly after Christmas. You could call it a rehersal, though I will do the next one AG. I have been drinking it once in a while now, but yesterday night, I thought it came out pretty well and I now want to compare it to Spaten Ur-Maerzen.

But I will start worrying about the Oktoberfest at the beginning of March.

Kai

I am planning on bottling my latest Red Ale, and testing the stout that I have in the secondary. I will also be tasting the scary stout I am trying to age into drinkability. I have an order of fresh organic Cascade whole hop coming in from my wife's herbal supply shop, so I think I am going to brew something, just not sure what. I am leaning toward IPA, but I was also thinking of possibly trying my hand at a fruit/berry concoction, like either a blueberry or black rasberry ale. I will be fooling around with recipes today, so we'll see.

My mom and dad are coming up to visit us. Or should I say the grandbaby. My old man has been really interested in brewing, so were gonna brew up a batch of wheat beer. But the low this weekend is supposed to be like 6 degrees, so we'll see.:fro:

By the way, its 3 degrees now, but with the wind chill it feels like a balmy -14.

I am going to consume more 11 lb hammer and start another thread on the finer points of Nihilism. ;)

Just kidding.....

Busy weekend for us. My daughter does competative dancing and we will be going back and forth to that. I will be brewing next weekend. :rockin: Maybe it will be a bit more balmy as I am in the same boat as Subwyking. Bellevue is just another part of Omaha and it's a lovely 3 degrees today.

Loop

No brewing for me this weekend. Until the contractors close up the new septic trench and re-pave the patio, I think I'll just go brew hopping. Heart of the Valley road trip Sunday.

If I can scrounge up enough bottles I'll be bottling my Exp Pale Ale #1 and secondarying #s 2&3. Hope i can find the bottles as 2&3 have been sittting for a fortnight now and I haven't been visiting them much.

With the interclub competition coming up, I'm thinking about doing an American Brown Ale. I have an American Amber fermenting now, and an American Pale about 2 months in the bottle. It would be nice to get to enter all three, but I'm prepared for some great offerings from the other club members.

I'm going through an ambitious phase. I started a Framboise Lambic last weekend...adding the raspberries and wild yeasts and bacteria this weekend. Also gonna try to brew a Rodenbach-style Flemish Red if I get a chance this weekend. If I can pull that one off, I may never brew anything else again ;)

Cheers! :D

I'm going to be doing Rhoobarbs Guinness Clone (fitting as he started this thread) on Saturday. It will also be my first all grain attempt, which I'm very excited for. I wanted it to be my last winter beer, by the time its ready it might be late, but I can drink a good stout anytime of the year.

I brewed a German ale yesterday and am waiting on the ingredients to do a SNPA clone and the recipe from charlie p.'s book "cherries in the snow". I have a double stout in the secondary that will hopefully be close to bottling.

loopmd said:
I am going to consume more 11 lb hammer and start another thread on the finer points of Nihilism. ;)

Just kidding.....

Busy weekend for us. My daughter does competative dancing and we will be going back and forth to that. I will be brewing next weekend. :rockin: Maybe it will be a bit more balmy as I am in the same boat as Subwyking. Bellevue is just another part of Omaha and it's a lovely 3 degrees today.

Loop

we are probably gonna brew on sunday. the high is supposed to be in the low 20's i think. so it'll be a fine day for beer makin.

I just picked up a 50 pound bag of 2 row from my LHBS and I'm tempted to brew this weekend. I think I will wait though. It's about 3 degrees out with light snow. I don't think I can do it.

yep, gonna be nasty, wet, and cold here in Tejas too. good weekend to belly-up to some winter warmer's at a friends.

no brew'n here.....

I plan on brewing a honey cream/wheat beer im adding some orange peal zest I almost opted to brew the same batch as the last one as the bottles are going down fast a very tasty ESB but I thought somthing on the lighter side would be nice.

sheephrdr said:
I plan on brewing a honey cream/wheat beer im adding some orange peal zest I almost opted to brew the same batch as the last one as the bottles are going down fast a very tasty ESB but I thought somthing on the lighter side would be nice.

Wow...that sounds good....you gave me an idea....I think orange zest in a beer would be tasty...especially a hefe.....hmmmm....

:rockin:

Spur of the moment, I decided to put one in the primary. It will be real light, I am pondering if I am just making a very "accessible" beer for company, or if I will use some fruit in the secondary and make it a bit more challenging. Light extract, partially rice solids, a medium/low hops load (Cascade 6%). Only a half pound of Lovibond 10 steeping grains.

No brewing ... Ran a half marathon instead. Now I can drink all the beer I want and not feel guilty .... Not that I usually feel guilty about drinking good beer.
Jimi

Back