Podcasts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you ever listen to brewing podcasts?

I downloaded a bunch of the archived Brewing Network episodes....some good info.

Its just a bunch of people like us with thier own radio show, pretty much.
They have some good guests on but it sure sounds like they have fun doing these shows. Entertaining for sure! One of the guys is from Morebeer, don't know backgrounds of the others cause I haven't listened to enough episodes yet.
They also have a special show that features a different style every week. Interesting.

The ones I've downloaded are from HERE.
I guess their are some on www.craftbeerradio.com as well, but I haven't downloaded these yet.

Anyone else tune in to these?

I've listened to craftbeerradio. Some of the episodes are pretty good...they've reviewed a few beers from around here and I found it cool to get an opinion on them (other than from me and my biased buddies).

Nothing Like resurrecting an old thread...

I've subbed to the podcasts mentioned in this thread. Are there any others that folks here find particularly interesting?

I filmed myself brewing once and wanted to start a video podcast, but I never got around to editing it and I didn't script it beforehand so I made a lot of mistakes, like calling grains and hops by the wrong name.

craft beer radio is a splendid podcast in regards to reviewing beer, so is big foamy head
As far as them beer brewing podcasts, I enjoy basic brewing radio. Sometimes that have some pretty insightful tips for even the seasoned AG brewer.

I find basic brewing radio a bit dry sometimes, but they do have excellent info. On the other hand I think the brewing network often has too much jaw wagging (with the exception of the Jamil Show which is freakin' fantastic) and sometimes wish they would get to the point. I like how their stuff is interactive and you can ask questions if you're tuned in live.
The BN has a new series called One Hour Boil, which consists of a non-live more information-rich interview. Anyone give this a go yet? The first one is with John Palmer.

I really enjoy the TBN shows. I do agree that sometimes the Sunday show can get a little long winded and off-topic, but it reminds me of a message board community, just aired live. I have noticed a couple HBT fold over at thier board as well. As far as guests go, they've also had Pap, Palmer (on thew 1 hour boil series) White brothers, Wyeast, Dan Gordon from Gordon Biersch, a ton of great people. I like it that is 3 hours too, it gives me something to do on Monday at work!

Chairman Cheyco said:
I find basic brewing radio a bit dry sometimes, but they do have excellent info.

It seems to be the NPR of brewing radio ;)

On the other hand I think the brewing network often has too much jaw wagging

I find that too. The older episodes are much more informative than the more recent ones. They haven't had good guests in a while and I'm afraid that they are running out of steem. The problem is, that thre is only so much to talk about until you have to start repeating subjects.

But it is still great for making my commute more interesting.

Kai

Kaiser said:
The problem is, that thre is only so much to talk about until you have to start repeating subjects.

It's ironic that the very reason they are so accessible may by their demise. All of their back catalog is available for free, you don't need to tune in if they do a subject twice and you missed it the first time. Just grab the archive of the first time and you're done. I hate to say it, but if they charged for the archive but had the initial airing free they may have a little better buiness plan going. That being said, I think they have a really good thing going and I hope it lasts. The Jamil show is incredible but limited in subject matter by design.

Kai, you hang out more over there than I do, have any of those guys (or you) listened to the Palmer 1 Hour Boil yet? How are the reviews?

Chairman Cheyco said:
Kai, you hang out more over there than I do, have any of those guys (or you) listened to the Palmer 1 Hour Boil yet? How are the reviews?

People say that they want to buy it, but I haven't heard any review. I feel that I, and many others, are in a situation, where we have heard so many interviews, have read so much in forums and books, that it becomes hard for us to pick up new stuff. At the end you have to brew to get your experience up and I don't have the time to brew more than every other week.

In the end, I might buy an episode or two, but only to support the BN and get some more material to listen to in the car.

Kai

I've listened to the Palmer 1-hour boil interview. I figured the $2.50 was worth it regardless of the quality because of the great info (and entertainment) I've already gotten from the folks at the BN. Anyway, the Plamer interview starts by talking about his history as an author/brewer and then he talks a bit about quite a few different subjects such as plastic vs. glass, yeast starter necessity, batch vs. fly sparge, etc. It was an interesting listen, but not too in-depth on any topic. Well worth the money in my opinion, though.

Dustin_J said:
I've listened to the Palmer 1-hour boil interview. I figured the $2.50 was worth it regardless of the quality because of the great info (and entertainment) I've already gotten from the folks at the BN. Anyway, the Plamer interview starts by talking about his history as an author/brewer and then he talks a bit about quite a few different subjects such as plastic vs. glass, yeast starter necessity, batch vs. fly sparge, etc. It was an interesting listen, but not too in-depth on any topic. Well worth the money in my opinion, though.

Thanks! I'm intersted to see who they get for the other shows and I think I'll hold off for a while.

Kaiser said:
In the end, I might buy an episode or two, but only to support the BN and get some more material to listen to in the car.

Kai

I was thinking the same thing

Hey guys! John Palmer is on The Sunday live show on the Brewing network today. The main topic is decoction mashing!!!

:ban:

Too bad I can't listen to it :( Could someone else listen and briefly summarize here?

It will be in the archive in a few days and you can get it and listen whenever you want after that.

I've been checking out the basic brewing radio podcasts like mad. The Papa Charlie interview was mad - he's kept the same yeast alive (and perfectly clean) for twenty-three years?!

I went on a road trip this weekend. 8.5 hours of driving in 2 days gave me a lot of time to catch up with some of the podcasts.

Basic Brewing is THE BEST!!! The Charlie P. interview was great. I also really enjoyed Raj Apte's Ginger Beer Plant interview.

Sounds like a good thing to listen to on brew day. A couple of speakers outside with a good couple of hours of brewcasts and a couple of beers might make for an enjoyable experience (not that brewing isn't enjoyable already!).

I tried to listen to TBN episode on decoction mashing with Palmer but it was just this drunk Doc guy talking about his botched attempt at a 12hr decoction brewday and every 4-5 minutes they let Palmer get in a word edgewise. I turned it off after 15-20 minutes of it, plus it was just the basics and not presenting any information I wasn't aware of (as the Kaiser touched on).

Perhaps had it been an actual interview of Palmer on decoction mashing, the pro's and con's, for instance, it could have held my attention.

I agree with you Beegee. I tried listening to Palmer talk but after being in Radio and Doing a Morningshow for 4 years i can not listen to those guys half of the time.

I like their idea and format for getting news, reviews and education out to other home brewers but if you laugh at yourself, chances are you are the only one laughing and they seem to laugh at themselves alot.

Every now and then the Jamil show can be informative, but poor jamil, brother, drink some coffee or take some other stimuli. You sound about 10 sentences from sleep.

Reverend

Baron von BeeGee said:
I tried to listen to TBN episode on decoction mashing with Palmer but it was just this drunk Doc guy talking about his botched attempt at a 12hr decoction brewday and every 4-5 minutes they let Palmer get in a word edgewise. I turned it off after 15-20 minutes of it, plus it was just the basics and not presenting any information I wasn't aware of (as the Kaiser touched on).

Perhaps had it been an actual interview of Palmer on decoction mashing, the pro's and con's, for instance, it could have held my attention.

That's funny I almost did the same thing when I listened to it, but was insanley bored, so I stuck with it. It gets better, I promise! Later in the episode (as doc sobered up) they got into a better discussion obout decoction mashing. You might want to try the whole thing.

I like Jamil and Jon's show quite a bit. I find the other show being a bit of "background" and I only bother listening when I happen to hear something interesting.

Yeah, TBN is a tough go sometimes. A few really good nuggets of info, but a ton of chaff to sort through. Their earlier episodes tend to be a little more info-rich.

Back