Kitchen Ventilation - Small Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSmith

Reaction score
Do you open the window a crack when venting?

If your home is well sealed, you need an air intake for a vent fan to work at all.

Igagine a small fan in the mouth of a 2 liter bottle trying to push air out.

Air would have to go in the same hole it is going out.

Do you open the window a crack when venting?

If your home is well sealed, you need an air intake for a vent fan to work at all.

Igagine a small fan in the mouth of a 2 liter bottle trying to push air out.

Air would have to go in the same hole it is going out.

I haven't used any fan yet. There is a window across the kitchen that I could crack open, fan in the window closest to the stove (maybe with an extension piece through the window).

Try opening the closest window an inch and running the vent fan only.

The vent fan should do all of the air movement.

CORRECTION: My stove vent does NOT vent to the exterior. It's microwave-over-the-stove that just blows air in your face.

I'm looking at a fan to move humid air outside using the closest window and looking for a suggestion if a fan (or high volume fan) would work.

On low that fan is moving 1400 CFM. That's like changing the entire volume of a 12 by 15 room in one minute..

I think a cheapo 16 inch box fan would do the job...

OMO

bosco

In the summertime I open a window on the farside of the apartment with a fan blowing in, then open the kitchen window. In the wintertime I don’t worry about it.

The fan is a 9" and it works pretty well on low.

On low that fan is moving 1400 CFM. That's like changing the entire volume of a 12 by 15 room in one minute..

I think a cheapo 16 inch box fan would do the job...

OMO

bosco

Harbor Freight if close by my house so I decided to pick up the 8" high volume fan - I'm planning on doing some drywall/insulation work too soon and saw more uses for this than brewing.

For a crude test, I cut a piece of cardboard for the window opening with an 8" hole and butted the fan up to it, opening a window across the kitchen. The airflow seemed significant and I'm thinking this will be the way to vent moisture and smell from boiling inside. The drawback is that it's loud - but, if that is really a problem I can get their flexible tube and put the fan outside. Time to brew another batch to see how this works.

Temporary Kitchen Fan Design.jpg

I did a batch with the fan and the ventilation was night-and-day difference from my previous indoor experience. I partially opened a window across the kitchen. There was no signs of condensation on the windows anywhere in the house with about a gallon boiled off. The drawback is noise and a chilly kitchen but it works.

Temporary Kitchen Fan.jpg

CORRECTION: My stove vent does NOT vent to the exterior. It's microwave-over-the-stove that just blows air in your face.

I'm looking at a fan to move humid air outside using the closest window and looking for a suggestion if a fan (or high volume fan) would work.

:smack:

Starting a thread with "My hood vent vents to the outside" when it doesn't, is like posting a thread "I want to brew a pale ale" and then sying you really wanted to make wine...

;)

Sorry! lol.

:smack:

Starting a thread with "My hood vent vents to the outside" when it doesn't, is like posting a thread "I want to brew a pale ale" and then sying you really wanted to make wine...

;)

Sorry! lol.

Very sorry about that, wish I would have proof-read better. I want to post intelligent threads.

Your response about needing to still open a window was insightful with my portable fan. The last thing I need is to reduce the pressure in the house and have issues with my furnace/water heater exhaust if the house is tight. Out of curiousity, I may mount some tubing acting as a manometer to my board to see if the fan affects the pressure in the house.

Very sorry about that, wish I would have proof-read better. I want to post intelligent threads.

Your response about needing to still open a window was insightful with my portable fan. The last thing I need is to reduce the pressure in the house and have issues with my furnace/water heater exhaust if the house is tight. Out of curiousity, I may mount some tubing acting as a manometer to my board to see if the fan affects the pressure in the house.

:mug:

No worries!

I really wanted to help.

Latest posts

Back