balancing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i dont think i really want a fully balanced beer but im trying to figure everything out. does this sound right: sweetness balances w/ bitterness from the bittering hops while maltiness balances w/ hop flavor? does this sound at all right?

balance is relative to style. you also have to consider alcohol. i don't think it's as straightforward as you're trying to put it, but yes you want to balance: sweetness, bitterness, alcohol, malt, etc.

The best thing to do is look at the style guidelines for the brew you're brewing, and try to make your IBUs, original gravity, etc. fit while keeping to the style.

i like that better i am trying to begin making my own recipes and that sounds like a better first step

A handy ratio is the ratio of gravity units to bittering units IBU / (O.G. - 1)*1000. It helps you gauge how much bittering you are putting in vs. the residual sweetness of the malt.

Probably the main advantage of building a recipe to style is you know approximately what you'll end up with. If the batch is seriously off-style, you can look at your process. Great recipes are variations on good recipes. Wing it and you end up with Kingsford Stout and Tutti Fruit Wheats.

Back