Converting an extract to all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tglennon

Reaction score
I have a few all grain batches under my belt that have turned out great, and now i want to convert a partial mash extract recipe to all grain but not sure exactly how to do it. It's an oatmeal stout recipe that has turned out great three times over, and now I want to try it all grain. Here's the recipe:
6.6lbs dark lme
4oz flaked barely
4oz crisp chocolate
8oz flaked oats
1oz fuggle hops
1 oz safeale 05

My main question is how to convert 6.6 lbs dark lme to an all grain batch?

8 lb 12 oz of 2 row
and then a dark malt to make up the color. I would go with roughly 1 lb of roasted barley, 1 lb of chocolate malt, and 1 lb of dark crystal. Something like that. The problem with DLE is that You can get an accurate amount of 2 row, but the color is a different story. Based on a few stouts I have done, those are the specialty malts that I have used. I would try that, but it more then likely will require some adjusting of those amounts.

8 lb 12 oz of 2 row
and then a dark malt to make up the color. I would go with roughly 1 lb of roasted barley, 1 lb of chocolate malt, and 1 lb of dark crystal. Something like that. The problem with DLE is that You can get an accurate amount of 2 row, but the color is a different story. Based on a few stouts I have done, those are the specialty malts that I have used. I would try that, but it more then likely will require some adjusting of those amounts.

from my experience, 1 lb of chocolate malt will make your stout plenty black.

check out this recipe by brrman. has 15.5 lbs of 2 row, 1 lb of a dark crystal, and 1 lb of carafa III. check out how dark the carafa and crystal made my beer.

image-3084738401.jpg

Back