Sitting on the cake??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
My next batch is at 14 days, its an irish red, fermentation had a lag of approx 12 hours, and lasted about 80 hours, Saf us-05. OG was 1.045 and I took a grav reading just now at .013. Most of my brews are usually done around .012-.013 but out of curiosity what's the real benefit of letting it sit longer on the cake? Its nice and clear with a fantastic taste albeit green. Im real excited to bottle, reds are possibly my favorites. Im obv gonna wait 2 days and check grav again, but if its the same, are there real reasons to wait another week or 2 to bottle?

well... If i cant detect any off flavors, fusels, esters etc at this point and my SG holds in 3-5 days, whats the point of letting it sit?

The yeast will settle and harden in the bottom of the bucket. Gives you clearer cleaner beer in the bottle. Cheers:)

That last week that you are going to leave it in the fermenter sitting on the yeast cake is known as bulk aging and I think it matures the beer faster than putting it in bottles sooner. JMHO

with that low of an OG, pitched enough yeast, and controlled your temperatures there is no reason why you could not bottle. However, I've found (in my opinion) that beers always "benefit" from leaving them in the primary longer.

If the gravity's stable and done, and the beer is clear, go ahead and bottle.

You said the beer tastes green. If this is acetaldehyde or diacetyl, then leaving the beer on the yeast will clean this up quicker. If the beer tastes green, then what is the purpose of bottling it? The hydrometer is a good tool to tell you when you CAN bottle; the taste buds will tell you when you SHOULD bottle.

well, its not really green, I cant detect aces or diacetyls at all, infact I nearly drank the whole sample I was so pleased with it. Its obviously flat, and warm. But the question stands, once ive attained a stable FG (whether its in 10 days or 30 days) the additional bulk aging time is mostly for clarity and for clean up of off flavors (if there are any)?

Yup. If it's cleared nicely,has a stable FG,& tastes good,albeit "green",then make sure the FG is stable & bottle it. Green isn't refering to off flavors tasted,but rather to the fact that it's uncarbonated & unconditioned. Young beer,not bad beer.

Yeah, it's possible that your good beer could taste even better sitting on the cake longer, or it's possible there would be no discernible difference at all. I like to leave mine on for a good 3 weeks because from my research this is probably best practice, but I seriously doubt it is absolutely necessary for every beer.

Back