Brew Stand Tips or Advice Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrowheadAles

Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm going to start my build soon of my single tier brew stand. I was able to aquire all the steel parts and gas plumbing from this lovely web site with all of the specific parts listed. Single tier Home brewery

So when I get it all welded up in a couple weeks, thanks to the bro in law, it's going to look exactly like this one! So what I have equipment wise is a Sanke for the HLT, a Sanke for the MLT, and a 20 gallon megapot from Northern Brewer that have a ball valve and thermometer. After Xmas comes around this weekend I'm pretty sure I'm going to have 2 March pumps to work with as well.

The system I'm thinking of going with to start is a RIMS system with the possibility of going to a HERMS. I have a 50' copper coil I've been using for an IC that could possibly be used in a heat exchanger but that will require some more hardware and I'd like to get some electronics working to monitor temperatures and pilot lights. But for now I think that a basic RIMS and monitoring mash temp on my own and starting the burner and pump as needed will work for now.

I'm also still up in the air on building this for LP or NG. I've been using a stand alone LP banjo burner but am totally annoyed with filling propane tanks all the time. I have a NG line in the garage already that could easily be tapped into, so I'm leaning heavily towards that route.

So anyways, what I'm looking for is some do's and don'ts for this system to try and get the most things right the first time around. I know there are TONS of knowledgeable minds on here who have built and rebuilt these things that could provide some very useful info. For example where and how to position the pumps, do I need to construct some heat shields, how much silicone tubing etc and perhaps some plans that have been made already for a similar system with flow directions for different points of the brew day. I have tri clovers on my kettles and a 20 plate duda diesel plate chiller.

If anyone can drop a line on here and just give me their two cents, it would be much appreciated. Have a happy safe holiday everyone!

:mug:

Back