Converting 1/2 bbl keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptMogul

Reaction score
I need some advice in converting a keg. What hole size would be appropriate in the top? I plan to put some water in the keg then use a plasma cutter. Yes/No?
Thanks Ed

The hole in the top, if it won't be used for anything else, should be as wide as you can make it so it's easier to clean and inspect.

Most here use an angle grinder but if you're handy with plasma....

12" diameter is pretty standard for the hole in the top. I would suggest figuring out what lid, if any, you will use and size the hole accordingly for it. Restaurant supply stores sell stock pot lids pretty cheap. I think i saw some in Target the other day as well.

if your going to have a lid I suggest you get the lid and cut the hole to fit,
a 12" stock pot lid actually needs a 11 5/8 hole

I'd source the lid before cutting the keg. You want to make sure the lid will not be too small for the hole and make sure that the lid will fit inside the handle rim before you cut the keg. Mine fit with about a quarter inch to spare between the handle and lid and the hole was a nice fit. I used a winco #17 aluminum lid.

Do the bottom with the plasma cutter. 10"-12" diameter is best.....10" lids are easiest to find.

If you leave the sanke coupling at the top intact, you've got yourself a 2" triclover bottom drain when you invert it. This is only if you're going electric. Otherwise, cut the standard way as others have described, but keep the spear and newly cut out top. Some people weld fender washers to it and use it as a lid.

I have made three and wish i knew what lids i would be using before i cut the lid. I have one with 12" that I have a lid for and two that are as wide as you can cut them. Both sizes work great but I only have one lid for the bigger holed kegs. The water trick sounds great i never would have thought of. It took me a little while to clean out after cutting with the plasma cutter and I have access to strong cleaning chemicals at the brewery i work.

Go with a hole the size of the lid you're going to use. I use an old turkey fryer pot as an HLT and using that pot's lid size yielded me the bonus of being able to nest the HLT inside the keggle for easy compact storage and transport to my brewclub brew days. It's also keeps both clean between brew days with the lid on top the pot nested inside the keggle.

Thanks for the replies. I guess measure twice, cut once is a good choice. Never thought about cutting the bottom out. Yes I am switching to electric as LP is too expensive here. From what I read 2-2000 wt. elements should bring 6 gal to a boil in 25-35 min. and one will keep the boil going. Yes? We dont have many resources here but found a 12" aluminum plate at GFS for $4.00 that will work as a top.
Dont talk much but have enjoyed all the posts and have learned a lot.

Ed

Back