welsh bitter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my modification of a recipe from a Protz book based on Felinfoel Brewery's Double Dragon Ale. I have brewed this many times and the beer never fails to please. London Ale yeast (WL-013/WY1028) is my choice although your favorite UK strain will do nicely. Simple British mash @ 66C/151F. :mug:

10 Gallons

12 lbs British Pale Malt
.5 lb British Crystal 55L
1 lb Torrified Wheat
1 lb Sugar

60 Minute Hops:
1 oz Challenger
.5 oz Bramling Cross
.5 oz WGV (Whitbread Goldings Varieties)

15 Minute Hops:
.5 oz WGV

Est OG 1.045
Est IBU 28

I love Double Dragon Ale, but I cannot find it anywhere. I'd love to brew a clone, but I do not have the equipment for 10 Gallon batch, especially not an all grain batch. How's this for an extract approximation? Is anyone good at these conversions? I cut out the sugar. What was it doing for the beer beyond adding alcohol?

6 lb. William's Brittish Pale Malt Extract Syrup
3 oz. Wheat Spray DME
4 oz. British Crystal 55L

60 mins
0.75 Challenger
0.5 Whitbread Golding

15 mins
0.25 Whitbread Golding

I love Double Dragon Ale, but I cannot find it anywhere. I'd love to brew a clone, but I do not have the equipment for 10 Gallon batch, especially not an all grain batch. How's this for an extract approximation? Is anyone good at these conversions? I cut out the sugar. What was it doing for the beer beyond adding alcohol?

6 lb. William's Brittish Pale Malt Extract Syrup
3 oz. Wheat Spray DME
4 oz. British Crystal 55L

60 mins
0.75 Challenger
0.5 Whitbread Golding

15 mins
0.25 Whitbread Golding

The sugar is a common adjunct in lots of UK ales. There's nothing wrong with it when used in discrete quantities. It's not there to boost the alcohol as it's already figured into the OG. The sugar will give a slightly drier finish and better attenuation. The attentuation help will be even more apparent with an extract recipe. For an extract version I'd use dry extract for the base if you can get it and I'd use a full pound of wheat extract. That will give you roughly a half pound of wheat equivalent, about right for five gallons. :mug:

Hmm... thanks. I was using a chart to do the conversions, but it was hard to figure out what the real intension was. So, is wheat the "secret" for Double Dragon? Double Dragon doesn't taste like every-other-bitter.

Someone on another sited toured the brewery tour noted that they only had two kinds of hops: Challenger and Goldings. So, I cut the Bramling Cross. What does it add to the flavor profile? Is it noticeable? I figured that having it in the bittering boil would reduce any distinctive flavor.

I picked the Williams syrup because they are known for specifically using British pale. Maybe it doesn't matter?

Hmm... thanks. I was using a chart to do the conversions, but it was hard to figure out what the real intension was. So, is wheat the "secret" for Double Dragon? Double Dragon doesn't taste like every-other-bitter.

Someone on another sited toured the brewery tour noted that they only had two kinds of hops: Challenger and Goldings. So, I cut the Bramling Cross. What does it add to the flavor profile? Is it noticeable? I figured that having it in the bittering boil would reduce any distinctive flavor.

I picked the Williams syrup because they are known for specifically using British pale. Maybe it doesn't matter?

Wheat, in the form of torrified wheat, is another common UK brewing adjunct. DD would not be the only beer to use it so the wheat isn't really a secret. Torrified wheat is a nice addition IMO as it lends a subtle toasty note to the beer. It does need to be mashed so wheat extract will have to sub in an extract brew. I did use the more elaborate hop blend because that was what was listed in Protz' book. The Challenger & Goldings combo is no slouch and one of my favorites. The reason I suggested dry rather than syrup extract is that I think it makes a cleaner beer.

Back