Quick question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHB

Reaction score
... If my beer reaches its FG (as per the instructions) do I still need to check it for 3 days as suggested? Im only guess that if it reaches its FG then its done and that the who "check it 3 days in a row to make sure its done" rule only applys to beer that has not quite reached its FG. Am I right?

Thanks

How many days has it been? Just because it reached your "expected" FG according to Beersmith or some other source doesn't mean it will stop attenuating there. You may have mashed a bit low, fermented a bit high, had a superior batch of yeast, whatever the case, you won't know if it was done fermenting unless it's been in the primary a while or you are checking the gravity regularly.

So far I have checked all my beers after two weeks and then again after another week or two. All of them had reached their expected FG by the end of two weeks (one was even lower than anticipated, which was a good thing in this case). I would not bottle before 3 weeks if I were you, and I would check again whenever you plan on bottling (which no matter how long it's been I would wait three days for) to make sure it hasn't changed.

Don't understand the check 3 days in a row thing. Check day 1, skip day 2, check day 3. Who cares what it did on day 2 ?

It has been in the fermenter since 02-17.. so almost 3 weeks.

About the 1,2,3 day thing.. its just something I have read.. maybe I read it wrong. My bad. Play dumb.

It has been in the fermenter since 02-17.. so almost 3 weeks.

About the 1,2,3 day thing.. its just something I have read.. maybe I read it wrong. My bad. Play dumb.

I think you either read it wrong or somebody else did and took you down with them :D

I have seen a lot of people say check, wait three days, check again.

I don't know why I didn't explain this in my last post, because in retrospect I should have. I might be because I'm a little bit :drunk: right now. :mug:

I think you either read it wrong or somebody else did and took you down with them :D

I have seen a lot of people say check, wait three days, check again.

I don't know why I didn't explain this in my last post, because in retrospect I should have. I might be because I'm a little bit :drunk: right now. :mug:

Thanks for explaining it to me slowbie.. I appreciate you setting the record straight instead of putting me on blast and making me look like an idiot. If making someone new to HB look foolish makes them feel better at night, I'm all for helping them out. Have another beer for me, slowbie. I work at 5AM :(

Back