Lube residue on orings after teardown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblee50

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion on getting the food grade lub off seals after teardown. I soak all my keg parts in oxyclean and have tried other cleaners, but the seals still have a film of the lubricant on them. I've used them like that by rewashing and sanitizing and have had no detectible problems but I'd kinda like to get that film off before something happens.

If the rings do not have any lube on them they will stick to the kegs. Keg lube is silicon-based and won't dissolve in water. Clean them, wipe them dry and apply fresh lube.

The only way to completely remove that film is a petroleum based solvent (like paint or lacquer thinner). You run the risk of deteriorating the rubber and contributing some truly NASTY flavors that way, so I don't recommend it.

Remove the O-rings, clean all of your fittings with a dry, lint-free rag, sanitize well, and perhaps invest in a new set of O-rings.

I have had no problems getting the keg lube off with dish washing liquid.

John

Back