Filter while racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavierFrag

Reaction score
Hi guys. Been lurking while learning a new craft. Recently tried my first non-canned beer which was an English Brown. So I used some grain and added hop pellets during the boil. The brew has been in the fermentor for 5 days and I can see the hop debris suspended mostly on the surface and within the upper 1/4 of the solution. Getting ready to rack this weekend.

Can I filter through a mesh strainer while racking into the secondary or do I risk aeration? Should I just rack short of transfering the debris?

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge. Enjoy your weekend!

No strainer at this point, you really don't want to aerate the beer once it has fermented. You'll just have to be careful, but it's not that tough to avoid the bulk of the trub when you rack. Just pay attention to where the cane is positioned.

If a little trub makes its way into the secondary, no big deal - it'll have a chance to settle out.

Don't do anything now--most of it will settle out in secondary.

If I'm worried about trub at bottling time, I'll sometimes sanitize a small hops bag and a SS clamp, and clamp the bag over the end of the siphon hose that goes in the bottling bucket.

It slows the siphon down a little, but is pretty effective at catching any bits of hops trub that get sucked into the siphon.

You could always try it. Some people seem to make it work, but for me filtering has always been a bungled mess. Careful siphoning and especially patience (as noted above) are at least as effective as filtering.

Back