Top freezer conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtdesh

Reaction score
I've been looking around I can't find exactly what I'm looking for so I figd I'd ask . I want to take a refrigerator with a top freezer and make it into two refrigerators. I don't think I can use a plug in temp control because it would kill power to refrigerator too. I want to use fridge part for storing beer and convert the top into a kegerator for mini kegs.

Can't be done without a second refrigeration system.
It may be possible to isolate the lower from the upper (the cold air in the fridge is gathered from the freezer), and then add the guts from a mini fridge to the lower.
This would be a very ambitious build to say the least.

You could add a temperature controller for the freezer portion and another for the refrigerator portion. The freezer controller would control the compressor. For the refrigerator you could add a recirc fan and a return plenum so that when the temp differential between the freezer and the fridge gets too high the fan would kick on.

Wait - wouldn't "I want to use fridge part for storing beer and convert the top into a kegerator for mini kegs." mean maintaining the same temperature throughout?

So cut a couple of 120mm holes between the fridge and freezer compartments and stick a pc fan in one of them...

Cheers!

Wait - wouldn't "I want to use fridge part for storing beer and convert the top into a kegerator for mini kegs." mean maintaining the same temperature throughout?

So cut a couple of 120mm holes between the fridge and freezer compartments and stick a pc fan in one of them...

Cheers!

Even better since you wouldn't have to use a second temperature controller. You can wire the PC fan into the same control circuit that turn on the compressor so that it isn't on a 100% duty cycle.

Just like this:

620559189fc595ed8c532cb57630acc2.jpg

One fan is blowing, one fan is sucking. I did this because the freezer kept "freezing" up and would need to be defrosted. So my temp probe is actually in the fridge and is set to the temp I want to serve my beer at. But the temp is usually pretty close in both the fridge and the freezer. And the freezer no longer freezes up since it never gets below freezing in there. I started off with just one fan, blowing from the freezer in to the fridge but it felt like the fan wasn't pushing much air when the freezer door was closed so I added the second fan to help get better air flow. I'm using the eBay temp controller that's popular on the forum but I only have the "cold" side hooked up since I never need it to get warm. The fridge is controlled by it but the fans run all the time.

If the question is: "Can I make a fridge/freezer have the same serving temperature in both compartments?"
In that case, the answer would be yes.
I assumed from your question that you wanted two separate controls, and two separate temperatures. My mistake.

Thank you all for your responses. Ya basically I was thinking of converting a fridge/freezer into two refrigerators

I really like this idea b/c I don't need the extra freezer space either. Thanks for the pic wbyrd01

Latest posts

Back