Is 7 weeks too long for a Hefeweizen to sit in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed this Hefeweizen... well a little over two months ago. Had a normal fermentation, racked it over to secondary. Things looked fine. Things have since gotten in the way of me bottling this brew--women, travel, grad school, and so on, you know the deal.

It's been in the carboy in a closet under a towel away from light. Only problem I can see is that I have no action in the air lock. The water is level in both chambers, I'm not sure what could mean. Thoughts?

So is this Hefeweizen still good? Should I bottle it and allow it to condition? Will it carbonate well? Should I be worried about the no-air-lock-action thing? Is this still a viable brew or should I dump it, shed a wee tear, and move on with life as we all must do from time to time?

If the hefeweizen is not fermenting, then there will be no airlock activity. Wheat/low hopw beers are generally served "fresh," but 2 months isn't terrible. I'd bottle it, but it might take a while to carb, probably not too much yeast in suspension anymore.

Most people don't bother with a secondary (or clearing tank, more correctly,) as a Hefeweizen is supposed to have suspended yeast. Still, you're probably fine. I wouldn't expect any airlock activity after 8 weeks, although airlock activity isn't a very useful indicator of anything.

Have you tasted it? Don't even think about dumping ANY beer unless you've tasted it!

it's fine. and i'm sure it is still cloudy with yeast even with the secondary. wheat beers do not need to have the consistency of tomato paste to be good. tomato paste is not "refreshing." ;)

it'll probably be the best weizen you've ever tasted :mug:

dump_beer.jpg

Most people don't bother with a secondary as a Hefeweizen is supposed to have suspended yeast.

I forgot about that part. Dang it.

But this part is also troof: wheat beers do not need to have the consistency of tomato paste to be good.

I'll try it this afternoon after I'm done working on my bike. If it's good I'll bottle tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: Should I agitate the carboy at all prior to bottling to stir up the yeast since it should have some in there or just proceed as I normally would?

Latest posts

Back